The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

He was the build of a stocky 20 something when he was 16. Had a fine paw on him but lacked a bit of variety to his hurling

1 Like

Clare still represented by ASR in this

Sigerson Cup games under lights is all kinds of wrong. These games exist so tradesman can take an afternoon off to go and stand on a bank.

They exist so you can go for a walk down to the river at 1pm on a Tuesday not knowing there’s a game on, and randomly see Jack McCaffrey or Sean O’Shea trotting down the lane in their boots.

3 Likes

On one hand. They get far more recognition during night with live streaming but I do agree there was always a high calibre of people cc @peddlerscross that you would see on the bank in UL.

I’d say it really has scuppered many “College” reunions in the Mardyke.

2 Likes

Yes I ended up standing on the famous bank the day Paul Mannion and Jack McCaffrey came to the Mardyke and ran Billy’s boys ragged. That would have been February 2016.

There was a total appreciation of their skill and athleticism from the hugely knowledgeable home support.

Too many bluffers and spoofers end up at these nighttime games. All kinds of riff raff can turn up.

In early 2022 i happened upon a nighttime Fitzgibbon game in Belfield between UCD and UCG. There was some businessman explaining the concept of the game to a US associate. This was obviously their social outlet after a long day doing “bidness deals”. All kinds of wrong.

6 Likes

There wasn’t a tradesman in North Cork working today judging by the amount of them at the Harty Cup game in Mallow.

2 Likes

College struggling against University of Ulster here.

Last year’s winning captain posting on the YouTube chat bemoaning the lack of power from midfield like he provided.

Hon the Poly.

We are back @Nembo_Kid :ronnyroar:

https://twitter.com/HigherEdGAA/status/1745206120447131866

Big MacRory Cup knockout match in Owenbeg tonight between Maghera and Magherafelt. 21 Derry Minors from last years All Ireiand winning panel involved.

Old Money v New Money.

You’d imagine they’ll get north of 5k in attendance.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/OrlaghMullan/status/1745912996277170468?t=ns0knqLFIsU602vMEmpgEg&s=19

Magherafelt edge an epic.

The power is changing in South Derry.

No sign of Danny McDermott for Maghera tonight which i assume means he has no hope of playing in the Club All Ireland next week. Broke his collarbone in the first half of the Ulster Club Semi Final seven or eight weeks ago.

Huge day for my beloved Alma Mater Abbey CBS in the Corn Ui Mhuiri Quarter Final vs Tralee CBS,

A terrible pity though that a knock out game of such magnitude has been dumbed down and being played on a bloody astro turf in the bowels of a University Campus,

Is it on clubber?

I believe so

Not to be I see. They did very well to get that far.

The keeper is a serious prospect. Good enough for Tipp seniors I was told. His Dad was the year ahead of me in school. :cry:

He’s excellent. Elite level dead ball kicker.

When Bansha produce them, they produce them good.

His Dad was an excellent keeper as well. Represented Irish schoolboy teams at under 14/15. Lost both parents in a car crash around that time though and understandably lost interest in elite sport.

4 Likes

LIVE: Carlow Vs Galway - Fitzgibbon

Jerome Quinn must be the worst hurling commentator in the country.

2 Likes

Carlow will need 3 goals to win this

The Carlow SETU/IT project has stalled a bit since DJ’s departure. Mouse Kavanagh finishing his student days was a blow too.