The School, College & University Competitions Thread (another thread gone west)

Yeah, himself and Ferncombe. Has McGrath had much success elsewhere?

And Podge this year. Don’t know if Podge has done much other coaching but would have seen a few different coaching styles between hurling & football.

Think he went in with Sean Tracey’s for a while. Was involved at underage level with Tipp at some stage too I think.

McGrath was with Tipp minors when they won the all Ireland recently. Had stints with Kilruane and Templederry were he done very well with both.

1 Like

No

I have conversed with the man on a couple of occasions before I/C matches and came to a similar conclusion.

Nice win for ASR vs a loaded Athenry team. Kierans up next for them.

I read ASR were missing a few too.

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

Was he with Boherlahan?

Don’t think so.

Yeh like I said now, my opinion is made up from 2nd-hand feedback, but apparently he is anyway. Seemed a tosser on Underdogs too.

Too much much short ball for us. He just didn’t get it like Tony did.

Athenry looked like they had the hard work done first half into the wind but were just overpowered second half. ASR started running hard at them down the middle and were either opening them up or winning frees, well worth the win for a finish

What year again? Did he reach a county final?

The year before Tony’s second coming iirc

1 Like

Hell of a game in Bansha today.

Mounthawk grinding down Naas CBS to reach a first ever Hogan Cup Final.

Paddy Lane the star of the show up front but a Ben Murphy at wing back was my MOTM. There was a Riordan fella corner back too who reminded me of Marc O’Se.

Martin Ferris was in attendance supporting his grandson who captains the team from Centre Forward.

3 Likes

Fuck Naas

Be some party

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final
Stryker (Cork) 1-19
Unijobs (Limerick) 1-18

Stryker won their first ever All-Ireland title after a thrilling victory over Unijobs at Carrigtwohill on Thursday night.

In a game where the sides were level on 12 occasions throughout the 60 minutes it looked for a long time like this one would need extra time to seperate the teams. There was non stop drama especially in the second half as the sides traded point after point.

Unijobs led by a point as the game went into injury time. A great score from a free from Shane O’Regan drew Stryker level. From the puck out Cian Darcy won the ball back for Stryker and found Sean Desmond who scored a brilliant point from his own half to win the game and spark great celebrations for Cork side.

Unijobs played with the aid of the breeze in the first half and led by 3 points to 2 after 10 minutes. Good play from Cian Darcy for Stryker on 12 minutes created a goal chance for Shane O’Regan and he scored a great goal to put Stryker in front. Darcy fired over a point to increase the lead to 3 points. A pointed free from Unijobs Cian Darcy had the lead down to 2 again. There was still 2 points between the sides when Unijobs scored a goal after 25 minutes to go back in front. Good play from Mark Hennessy ended with Daniel Owens finishing well with a flick to the back of the net with his back to goal. Ryan Murray hit back for Stryker to level the game again after 26 minutes. Jack Shelly fired Unijobs back in front on 27 minutes. Back came Sean Desmond for Stryker to tie up the scores and then fire Stryker in front. One last attack for Unijobs right on half time saw Shelly score another point to leave it Stryker 1-8 Unijobs 1-8 at half time.

Gavin Carey opened the scoring in the second half to put Unijobs in front. Ryan Murray responded for Stryker on 32 minutes. Mike Heenan scored a good point from center field to put Unijobs back in front. Back came Stryker again when Desmond found Brendan Twomey outside the 21. Twomey shot for a goal was deflected over the bar by a good save from Daniel Hanlon. Another goal chance for Stryker saw a shot from Sean Desmond hit the post and rebound to safety. A free from Shane O’Regan on 39 minutes put Stryker back in front. Unijobs Cian Darcy replied with a pointed free on 40 minutes. O’Regan again pointed for Stryker on 41 minutes. Jack Shelly made it a level game again with a good score on 42 minutes. A great score from Paddy Walsh put Stryker back in front on 43 minutes. It was score for score and no let up from either side. Unijobs drew level with a pointed free from Darcy. O’Regan responded for Stryker from a free. Back came Unijobs with another point from Darcy on 48 minutes to level the game again. O’Regan again had Stryker in front with 10 minutes left. Darcy replied for Unijobs to level the game. Darcy then put Unijobs in front with a pointed free on 53 minutes. O’Regan responded for Stryker with a pointed free on 54 minutes. O’Regan then fired Stryker back in front on 56 minutes. A great score from center field by Unijobs Cian Darcy had the game level again on 57 minutes. Another pointed free from Darcy put Unijobs in front with 59 minutes on the clock. Unijobs had a chance to increase their lead but the shot dropped short. Late drama saw O’Regan level in injury time and then Desmond ensured hero status with the score of the game in the final seconds to end a contest that will live long in the memory for those lucky enough to be in attendance.

Stryker: Aidan Foley (Watergrasshill)(0-1, 1f), Cian Healy (Lisgould), Eoghan Buckley (Killavullen), Neil Fitzpatrick (Sarsfields), Cian Carroll (Roanmore), Eoghan O’Sullivan (Russell Rovers), Aaron Dorgan (Carrig Na bhFear), Brendan Twomey (Carrigtwohill)(0-1), Cian Darcy (Sarsfields)(0-1), Ryan Murray (Watergrasshill)(0-2), Keith McCormack (Brian Dillions)(0-1), Sean Desmond (Watergrasshill)(0-4), Shane O’Regan (Sarsfields)(1-8, 8f), Paudie O’Sullivan (Cloyne), Paddy Walsh (Killshannig)(0-1)

Subs: Darragh O’Mahony (Sarsfields), Paul Lane (Russell Rovers), Caolan O’Connor (Glenariffe Oisín, Antrim), Richie O’Connell (St Catherine), Adam Finnigan (Ballyclough), Cillian Brosnan (Brian Dillions), James Lavery (Passage West), Dylan Roche (Watergrasshill), Neil Gardiner (Ardrahan, Galway), Brian Mannion (St Finbarrs), Barry Mannion (Ballinteer St John), Shane O’Driscoll (Sarsfields)

Unijobs: Daniel Hanlon (Clough/Ballacolla), Bryan Seymour (Silvermines), Jody Hannon (Adare), Mark Hennessy (Clough/Ballacolla)(0-1), Mike Heenan (Borrisokane)(0-1), Gavin O’Mahony (Kilmallock), Mark Daniels (Silvermines), Phelim O’Reilly (Kilmallock), Podge Brennan (Clough/Ballacolla), Gavin Carey (Patrickswell)(0-1), Jack Shelly (Mullinahone)(0-3), Ronan Ducie (Kiladangan), Daniel Owens (Ballybricken Bohermore)(1-0), Cian Darcy (Kilruane MacDonaghs)(0-12, 10f), Mark Fanning (Moneygall)

Subs: Zane Keenan (Camross), Fionnbarr Fitzpatrick (Bruree), Jonathan Fitzpatrick (Bruree), Alan Nicholas (Monaleen), Cyril Collin (Parteen-Meelick), Willie Hyland (Clough/Ballacolla), Barry Carey (Patrickswell), Sean Baily-Whyte (Portroe)

Referee: Mike Sexton (Limerick)

I’d love to know the metric for qualifying to play in this….

Some teams play fast and loose with the term “contractor” to get a few lads on board for it