The Seething thread

@Massive_Attack

got a call from aunt in law’s carers company last night to say that they couldnt get in and the carer had been ringing the bell for 20 mins. i told them to use the keybox (they knew about it but apparently hadnt told the carer). the aunt isnt particularly mobile and also has delusions/dementia

about 10 mins later i get a call from the carer saying that the aunt had been ill all day and had soiled herself and was quite distressed. she then said that she was going to her next appointment and left the aunt, in distress and her own mess.

myself and the mother in law went straight over and cleaned up the house and the aunt. we eventually got her back to sleep around 1.30.

im sitting here waiting for the carer company to ring me to discuss what happened last night. how in the fuck could anyone called a carer leave a 86 year old woman in such a state.

im spitting nails here

9 Likes

That’s rough

2 Likes

Christ thats an awful situation. I’ve a similar enough one, its aint fucking easy. I’d rather be pushed into traffic than go that way.

And I know, there’s plenty here who would volunteer.

5 Likes

In no way justifying what happened here but that carer us probably given an alloted time per appointment and would probably have been docked had she missed the next one. An absolute shambles

2 Likes

to be honest, mike, im not going to take it out on the carer but the company who are being paid handsomely by the HSE. they have a duty of care and failed miserably

9 Likes

Correct here, and correct Mike too.

My Mrs went to a few training sessions with one of these companies years ago. Was thinking of doing it on the side.

When she realised how little training they were getting, how little they were being paid, and how little time you’d actually get to spend with the people, she quickly changed her mind. They rang her up a week later to see if she could go look after some old dear the next day :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I had been wondering about that when I found out that’s what a few local women worked at. The same ones who are in the pub 7 nights a week and you wouldn’t let them wash a car. Your post explains a lot.

2 Likes

My Mrs thought the whole thing stunk tbh.

She thought she’d be able to go in and spend four or five hours doing a few jobs for an auld dear, keeping them company and all that. It was more and in and out service industry type set up.

1 Like

Profit before people?

If their profit was in any way related to their performance, I would mind if carers made millions.

It’s a hard owl station looking after elderly relatives and it won’t get any easier the way the demographics are going. The Home Instead Senior Care (to us it’s personal) and the Bluebird Senior Cares of this world are eye wateringly expensive but most folk want to do what they can to keep the relative in their own home for as long as they can because it’s the humane thing to do. Any relative that still has a bit of cognitive function left bridles at the thought of going into a nursing home because they see it as a death sentence. During Covid it was either a death sentence or worse it was solitary confinement for two years. It was a horrific existence. There are no easy ways out of this situation though. Ultimately an elderly relative with dementia will either pass away from old age or will have to go into a nursing home. It’s really a tough station.

12 Likes

We had carers for mama J for her last 14 months. Occasionally there were fuckups but in general the care she got was superb. The company, All In care did an amazing job. She had 2 carers 4 times a day i think or maybe 3 times. And usually a night carer. The job they do is so hard and underpaid its ridiculous.

14 Likes

It’s unreal that the jobs that are needed are the badly paid ones, while influencers and youtubers make serious coin for being ego centric cunts.

5 Likes

Yeah, its definitely the you tubers and influencers who are to blame.

11 Likes

Influencers are behind the housing crisis too. Cunts.

ah thats a fucking reach in all fairness. mbb’s point is that a carer gets so badly paid even though they are performing a vital function whereas the kid of gobshite my daughter watches on YT can makes thousands for feeling slime and discussing it.

3 Likes

The state doesn’t pay youtubers so to me it was a pretty irrelevant point.

The state does pay obscene pensions to already wealthy people. That is a more relevant point to make i think.

The HSE farming out care of the elderly to private companies, solely motivated by profit, is going to lead to numerous situations similar to the one you encountered.

I wish you and your aunt the best. Its a tough situation. I fear I’m heading down that road very shortly with ma barnes.

2 Likes

Erling Haaland makes 900k a week for kicking a football.

Ronaldo gets 500k a week for not playing.