The Seething thread

Iā€™m fucking seething
The petrol gauge on a bmw r1200r is as reliable as the tory party.
My first encounter with this was running out of petrol stone dead in the middle of nowhere despite it showing 52 miles left. Subsequently, about four months ago it ran out despite the gauge confidentiality displaying 72 miles left.
At 615 am, in the midst of typhoon Gareth, it ran out on a flat out dual carriageway, despite the gauge showing 100 miles left. And when it runs out, it runs out with German efficiency, no sputtering or messing. It just stops dead. I nearly got flattened by the traffic behind, and then had to push the fcuking thing a mile down the road, in full soaking kit, sweating like a tipp farmer on a hot afternoon at the slurry pit whilst effectively being repeatedly doused with buckets of filthy water. I missed most of my swimming, and had to wipe the floors and seats in greggs as it looked like Iā€™d covered them in slack.
Bastard thing.

5 Likes

Just a thought mate, but would you not have looked to get it fixed after the first two times?

1 Like

Youā€™re a menace on the roads.

If anyone got a picture of you pushing a broke down Beamer in pissing British weather, then Iā€™m posting it in the Post a picture that sums up Brexit thread.

1 Like

Itā€™s a sign. Youā€™re too old for a motorcycle. You must look ridiculous

Donā€™t know about motorcycles but a petrol gauge is a very hard thing to fix in a car.

Itā€™s unfixable. For some reason they use an old skool semicouple system like Harrison used in his watch that del boy found. I thought that given the max range is 260 miles, 100 miles was a reasonable margin for error.

Could you dip the tank?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0zKWxVxIPyc

I could.

Thereā€™s your solution right there.

Could you put petrol in it?

2 Likes

No. That would require him moving his arse to do something.

Could you not put a few quids worth into it every few days?

According to his podcast, he was at home babysitting and watching the GAA on Saturday, so either heā€™s a liar, or youā€™re a liar.

Heā€™s an awful cad is Wooly.

He was at home during the game.

People donā€™t babysit their own childer.

1 Like

He addressed that very issue too. Child minding is what he said.

Shur I know, didnā€™t I hear it.

What youā€™re going to need here is a graph.

Itā€™s clearly a problem that is getting worse. If you can fix the dates, and the mileage left, of each of these occurrences, you should be able to plot a curve which will determine the actual empty tank level w.r.t displayed tank level over time. If you can derive from this a function in which X = Displayed Mileage Left and Y = The Current Date, then the job = oxo.

2 Likes