The Shame I feel about Dublin as my 🐐 capital (and other random cities in videos that Muldoons think is Dublin)

Wait til @mikehunt and @glasagusban drive the MNC’s out of Ireland, we’ll be flying it

There just isn’t enough prison spaces/detention spaces. Plus the Irish approach to sentencing is all part of the cosy bad joke that criminal justice has become. No consequences for crime so no deterrent. But also little or no thought into the behaviour change needed to reduce recidivism and reintegrate back into society. That takes years of effort, counselling, to socially reintegrate. Right now reintegration amounts to someone getting a month in mount joy being released after five minutes as they don’t have space. How does that benefit society? How does that benefit the offender and give them hope of a better life?

The guards bring people to courts. Serial offenders back on the streets has nothing to do with the guards.

But there needs to be a modernisation and upgrade of the whole process. That takes time and crucially money, there needs to be earlier intervention with young offenders, I think the Irish public should rather that spend than the knock on effect for society for decades, multiples lost in healthcare and mental health services along with custodial services that could be prevented. But they are long term strategies, not the quick praise generators mcentee and a few more seem primarily interested in.

2 Likes

Despite a century of trying Dubliners have proven to be bone useless at soccer.

I suggested on here before that all Dubliners be placed in a meat grinder and their houses given to immigrants. That idea is starting to gain critical mass I feel. It would save Ireland.

1 Like

It’s a complete nonsense to refer to Ireland as an extremely wealthy country, only a shill for the government could makes such a claim. If you strip out the leprechaun ecoomics that bloats GDP, Ireland isn’t even in the top quarter of EU countries in terms of real GDP per capita. Then you factor in the cost of living which is 25% higher than the EU average, especially the cost of accomodation, there is nothing wealthy about the country for the majority of it’s population.

I spent the bones of the last three months in Ireland and there are a lot of storm clouds on the horizon. Every young person 20-30 that I spoke to, especially the well educated, are considering emigration. This is backed up by surveys that indicate 60% of that demographic are considering leaving. I read yesterday that there are 30,000 more applications for student accomodation for the upcoming year than available spaces. There were literally no tourists relative to what would have been the norm in prior years. Why would there be?, there are very few hotel rooms available and those that are or AirBnB are price gouging.

The one constant during the trip was never saw a guard walking the streets day or night, spent good few nights in Dublin, Limerick, Cork and Galway and never saw a guard. Not a great enticement for tourists either when they are reading that Irish cities are becoming unsafe.

I think there’s a lot of head in the sand going on. Ireland’s ecomomic growth has been driven by multinational investment, and other than favorable tax rates the #1 reason they chose Ireland was the availability of a well educated workforce. If that cohort start leaving in droves due to the spiralling cost of living, no available accomodation, unsafe streets, and other factors, it won’t be long before the MNCs start to follow them, especially with corporate tax normalization.

You also have a government that appear absolutely clueless to deal with any of these issues, and an opposition party that most likely would make things worse if they gain power.

11 Likes

Young people from a temperate small country want to live abroad for a few years.

There is nothing remarkable about this.

1 Like

Make up your mind would you.

Our GDP per capita is more than double the average wage in the country.

We’re filthy rich alright.

1 Like

GDP per capital is indeed that you say, what percent is revenue booked in Ireland by the 1500 MNCs that never reaches the Irish economy?

The answer is 40% that’s almost half of Irelands GDP that has no benefit to the Irish economy.

3 Likes

says your man

2015 wants it meme back.

Ireland has a long history of emigration. It’s served us well.

Sure the lad is over in California, or at least thinks he is

Sure Ireland is tiny. If you incredibly well educated you have opportunities all over the world.

You’d be a fool not to go.

It’s the usual crowd trying to create fear.

Go easy mate, his people fought for the country you’re living in but he has chosen not to live in.

The latest thing is to claim that it’s never been worse for the college grad. Far worse than the 1980s and late 2000s. :rofl:

The Shinners were over in Australia a couple of weeks ago playing up to this, ignoring that Australia is facing many of the same housing issues of Ireland.

There’ll never not be a scenario where young Irish people don’t go to Australia, Canada or London for a few years in their droves.

Ok the last part is true but if you don’t recognise that Ireland is a terrible place for young people then you’re being facetious.

Fair enough. Name the parts of the world that are really good for young people by the same metrics. Like low rents and housing availability, good education, well paid jobs and nightlife.

2 Likes

It isn’t a terrible place for young people.

It’s a great place for young people.

Terrible place and yet they come here in their droves from continental Europe. Ask a college educated person from France how things are there.

It has its positives and it has its negatives. But hyperbole does nobody any favours. Ireland has amazing employment opportunities for young people and remains a nice place to live. It also has mediocre weather and housing issues, the latter of which is not really unique anymore.

People lamenting young Irish people going abroad to Australia whilst they are packing themselves high in shared rentals in Melbourne are not being serious.

If things were really that awful then they would all be going to places like Sweden which has an abundance of studios and bedsits that are great for independent living. In reality, most are going abroad for a bit of sun or to live in larger cities for a time.

6 Likes