The Shame I feel about Dublin as my šŸ capital (and other random cities in videos that Muldoons think is Dublin)

When I started working there was a Bendini & Shaw sandwich shop on St Stephenā€™s Green (corner of Grafton Street) They had a few other shops and a lad on a bike with a big basket.

For many years Iā€™d treat myself to a chicken tikka roll about twice a week. Itā€™s probably the only sandwich I remember (apart from a Swedish club sandwich in Stockholm watching the marathon - it was salmon and avocado).

Insomnia bought them in 2002 for 2 million pounds and that was the end of the chicken tikka roll.

Anyway when I went to London it struck me Bendini & Shaw was modeled on Pret.

image this was central bank shop

4 Likes

Pret is basically Greggā€™s for people from Oxbridge.

Like alot of businesses that grow quickly soā€¦ quality suffers.

I doubt theyā€™ll roll this out in Ireland though.

Didnā€™t pret have a big food safety scandal recently enough?

Not as such. A young lass with a peanut allergy died because there was a trace of peanut in one of their products. I think it was just cross contamination. Awful story, but to a slight extent, maybe just one of those things that will always happen when humans are involved in anything.

There is @Horsebox trying to skip the queue, the cunt.

11 Likes

At that scale especially

Thereā€™s the full range of clothes on display there.

I would like to see if there is a record of what became of the orange halls in the free state. Not sure if there were ever any in Limerick city or county or if there were, if they are still standing. There are obvious buildings in Dublin which looked like they might have been orange halls at one stage, or at least are in the style of an orange hall.
I think it would be an interesting part of history to look at. Surely Cork, as the second city would have had a few orange halls, or were most out in the country around Bandon etc where the protestant schools still are.

Mention of a Swedish club sandwich in Stockholm had me hankering for a cajun chicken panini from the Swedish Food Company. I think they may be defunct? They had an outlet in the IFSC during my formative Stokes Kennedy Crowley days - itā€™s not there for many years. When I moved up to the Baggot Street area (to become a banker), they had shops in both Lower and Upper Baggot Street. I think both are gone for a few years now too. The transient nature of the restaurant/cafe/pub industry makes me quite emotional at times. Thinking of all these places that no longer exist brings my own mortality to the front of my mind. The death of a cafe is often sadder than the death of a person, or a dog, in my opinion.

6 Likes

Sadder still if the cafe served dog.

Didnā€™t you or @Rocko write a terrifically moving poem about Aya or some other place?

I canā€™t remember much of the poem but I do recall it had a gut punch of a final line.

1 Like

I think that was @Rocko. The chicken katsu curry from Aya in Mayor Square was a major highlight of 2002-04. I was bereft when it closed. I think it hit Rocko badly too, but he never felt the same about Aya after losing an Aya curry eating challenge to an audit junior in March 2004. There was a real sense of occasion that day, bringing the takeaway curries back to the staff canteen and seeing who would tap out first.

1 Like

Was it some type of extra hot curry?

Korma

8 Likes

We used them in my first office job as meeting caterers. I got right sick of them. I always thought Swedish Food Co producer a poor enough sandwich they was high on accoutrements and garnishes but low on filling and ultimately left you unsatisfied. A metaphor for my 20s maybe.

Are you old enough to remember the ladies who came into offices selling home made ish sandwiches. They were generally very nice sandwiches.

Korma would be a bit too spicy for @Rocko . Iā€™d say the curry was put aside and the actual challenge was just rice.

3 Likes
7 Likes

ā€œAnd then one day goneā€.

That line conveys the suddenness of the closure so perfectly.

1 Like