The Shame I feel about Dublin as my 🐐 capital (and other random cities in videos that Muldoons think is Dublin)

They may well have done so. What wasn’t there was the endless online portrayal of these communities as sub human savages. What wasn’t there was the drive to get your 15 minutes of fame by becoming a viral clip. The lads who were part of that incident last night will all have watched the clips online themselves and got off on their notoriety.

Every one of these viral clips i) increases the drive to become part of a viral clip, ii) stirs up endless divisive online discussion and iii) helps to stigmatise and ghettoise these communities further.

The internet itself reinforces the cycle. We’ve become a society obsessed by narcissism, triviality, performative idiocy, winding up others and far worse stuff. Obsession with money, obsession with looks, obsession with consumption, obsession with “experiences”, obsession with contrarianism and deliberately making others angry. There are a lot of online subcultures which are dangerous.

2 Likes

hey, im just messing around when i call @maurice_brown a tick muldoon

1 Like

Actually things like the Trinity Access Programme are brilliant and widely supported. It’s not corporates responsibility but I think this idea that kids in the likes of Sheriff Street are ignored when the IFSC is next door is a load of shit.

I think the point is (and we are largely aligned on this) is that talking about facilities, “jobs” etc doesn’t cut it.

Yer one looks the image of the poshish druggy one from love hate

What facilities does cherry orchard lack compared to most parts of the country and nearly all parts of rural Ireland? Claiming there’s a lack is the same nonsense that putting in shops and restaurants (!?) will alter anti social behaviour.

The problem here is they don’t feel part of society as they are separate from it. And the only cause of that is a lifetime on the dole, for generations. Make any sort of work or training part of their lives and suddenly they have the organisation that brings, plus they see themselves as contributing, and then valuable members of the community. It changes the outlook completely. Allied to this there has to be proper enforcement of laws, you simply can’t have a society that isn’t in some way regulated for the safe enjoyment of the majority. So fines, community service and for the most dangerous cunts prison is the only answer. And better equipped and trained gardai. There has to be a consequence to actions. Moving the worst of the worst away from decent people is just a necessary step. The decent people trying to raise their kids right deserve the chance to do so, put the true skangers in a sink estate and police them into politeness. But nothing will be done as Ireland is in truth a me feiner society.

5 Likes

Have you examples of where your approach has worked elsewhere?

2 Likes

Did that sound better on the dictaphone?

2 Likes

I disagree with Ireland being a me feiner society. There’s instances of it obviously but theres also evidence to the contrary. The GAA is a wonderful example of widespread community spirit and volunteering that you don’t see on that scale in very many countries. Weve often been told that ireland donates to charity at a higher level than most, albeit we probably steal from it at a highrr level too.

2 Likes

Would you prefer letting hoodlums continue robbing cars and driving them into the Guards and whatever else they get up to without consequence.

What about the decent people living in those areas sick to death of this carry on? Imagine trying to raise a family in that environment where lawlessness is actively encouraged if the authorities refuse to enforce the law.

1 Like

You ok mate?

1 Like

Ah the salt of the earth wit. Gwayourradah

Where actually enforcing laws work? Most of Europe, Canada, Australia. But your only here for the bit of virtue signalling do you not get enough from the climate faux empathy

very tetchy response to a question

Crime Index by Country 2022 Mid-Year (numbeo.com)

Qatar and UAE bottom of the list…

Wonder why?

Yeah, let’s be like them.

The Provos need to go back into these areas and straighten the youth out.

1 Like

Lugs Branigan would give them a cuff round the ear. No more about it.

Right. We need to target a few countries there and get below them. Im shitting myself knowing we are worse than Russia, palestine and Sudan on the crime index.

I wonder how they got the stats to rank North Korea at no 29?