The Shame I feel about Dublin as my 🐐 capital (and other random cities in videos that Muldoons think is Dublin)

Q Bar beside it, another place I wasn’t fond of.

1 Like

Messrs, now there’s a throwback

That’s the place, it was owned by Sean Quinn.

1 Like

We passed like ships in the night my friend

Around the corner from the ligendary Harp Bar.

In Mulligan’s now. There used to be a no phones rule here.

The Harp Bar used to be the venue for the Naomh Pádraig Celtic Supporters Club meetings. The notes for association football supporters clubs were a staple in the Evening Press and then the Herald when the Press went under. I don’t know why but I used to read these every week. I can even remember the names of some of the guys who ran these supporters clubs. The Manchester United one was run by a Jimmy Pluck of Fettercairn. A guy called Neil Masterson in Mulranny in Mayo ran the Nottingham Forest supporters one. The small band of Manchester City supporters used to meet at the Plough Bar on Lower Abbey Street opposite the Abbey Theatre and the Flowing Tide. I don’t believe there was ever a notice for a Rangers supporters club in the Press or the Herald.

I’m sure there was some story akin to the one of the spilt in Irish cycling behind why there were rival Celtic supporters clubs in Dublin - there was the Dublin branch and the Naomh Pádraig branch.

I was never in the Harp Bar and regret this. My oul’ fella worked upstairs in O’Connell Bridge House for years and I don’t think he was ever in it either. You’d occasionally see it disparagingly referred to by newspaper columnists in the 1990s. It was supposed to be a rough oul’ joint?

9 Likes

You’ve got to be in Cassidys on a Sunday night in Dublin City.

2 Likes

I was in it a couple of times. Very much the bar for young working class Dubs coming into town from the suburbs. It was grand.

1 Like

The official pub of visiting US presidents.

Didn’t Sean O’Brien have an impromptu toilet session there on a Sunday night? In the bar section? Something like that?

And I’m sure Niall Guiden (allegedly) assaulted Jason Sherlock there too on a Sunday night?

2 Likes

Think the dublin branch met in dalymount?

That would have put a few off

I was fascinated by it having an underground part (I think it did anyway). I used to imagine it as a rougher version of the pub in the TV show Cheers.

Then there was the Underground Lounge on Dame Street, complete with London Tube style sign. I was never in this either because I was not yet an adult when it closed.

I’ve heard this referred to as a legendary venue.

I think there was a “Farm House Branch” as well.

1 Like

Yes it had an underground part.

Loads of Shels fans in Mulligan’s. They don’t like Rovers. They love the Duff. I told them I was there in 2008 when Steve O’Flynn scored a hat trick and their rocks couldn’t break the windows of our bus.

2 Likes

A lot of clubs want to be our rivals

They love Duff. They also love Peruvian marching powder

5 Likes

Cassidys on a Sunday is like Dingle.

Its a state of mind.

2 Likes

Rake the ashes are key

1 Like

As Ireland’s greatest ever poet once said, “Chris O’Donnell is the Camden Street Luke Kelly”

1 Like