The Shame I feel about Dublin as my šŸ capital (and other random cities in videos that Muldoons think is Dublin)

Itā€™s one of the largest cities in the world. This is no different than people in Boston moving to New York for a period. It isnā€™t a like for like comparison in the slightest and it is laughable to suggest renting conditions are substantially better.

Nobody is saying people didnā€™t emigrate out of need a decade ago. This was absolutely out of need. Now it is largely a lifestyle thing.

You reference Europe but that is not where people are flocking to, is it?

1 Like

They are flocking from all over America to Texas for better work and living conditions.

The narrative around Texans in Ireland is their all demented rednecks running around With guns.

People forget how tiny a country we are. Emigration is a key part of our country.

Ah lads :smiley:

Friends say London is more liveable anyway. Rent is still expensive but is still more affordable and better quality than what they can get in Dublin. I reckon Germany and Netherlands are popular partly due to everyone having English there and the nightlife culture. Berlin is having housing difficulties too but is years behind Ireland on the curve very easy to live in compared to Dublin.

I donā€™t think we should be flippant about how shit Ireland is for younger people and it will continue to affect everything else, we already canā€™t get gardai and teachers.

Itā€™s going to make a big difference to future US Presidential elections as Texas turns blue with the people moving there.

This simply isnā€™t true but you keep repeating it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the thing, they are. Thatā€™s the state Dublin is in.

Ok. For many young people then.

Dublin is absolutely booming. Itā€™s full of young people.

I donā€™t think we should be engaging in hyperbole which you are quite clearly doing.

1 Like

Be interesting alright to see what happens.

Bollix. London is in the midst of a shortage and major inflation.

More broadly the U.K. economy has been hammered post COVID with Sterling sinking.

1 Like

It isnā€™t hyperbole to say Ireland is not a good place for young people and that it is causing and will continue to cause massive problems for society. People forced to live at home, people delaying having children, people unable to study where they want to, recruitment crises because people canā€™t afford rent. This isnā€™t hyperbole itā€™s just the facts of the issues currently facing us.

1 Like

So what? The only point was that accommodation is more available and affordable in London than in Dublin.

Yes it is.

Ireland is a great place to be young.

1 Like

A grand country for young people if theyā€™re loaded
Property prices and current cost of living means less so for the majority.
The situation in Dublin re teachers at the moment is coming to a tipping point

2 Likes

The same nutters who think Dublin isnā€™t safe now think Ireland is a bad place to be young.

They wonā€™t stop until they destroy the country.

1 Like

It is. You literally said it was shit- this is hyperbole. There are incredible opportunities in Ireland- hence why we attract so many young people from abroad.

The top destinations that Irish people go abroad to outside or Erasmus and Snowbirds face the same problems as here but have something that we donā€™t (weather, major major cities).

Thereā€™s no question that we need a Dublin subvention for them.

That said- this is still a narrow section of the economy. The narrative on most teachers going abroad these days is tied to those indulging in largely tax free living in the Middle East. Not something we are going to compete with.

Teachers arenā€™t flocking to the U.K. for teaching jobs.

The reality of life in Ireland, Dublin in particular, for many many people renting, particularly young people, is pretty shit, yes.