The Smiths - The Greatest Indie Band of All Time?

In fairness, he’s right about Chinese government and the Muslim religion.

The first song on their debut album.

Nearly six minutes of unadulterated filth.

2 Likes

I get a dose of this into me every few weeks.

3 Likes

https://www.rte.ie/radio/doconone/1400057-louder-than-bombs-the-smiths-in-ireland-nov-84

4 Likes

Morrisey praising the Brighton bombers on RTÉ must have been very awkward for a lot of people behind the scenes there at time

1 Like

Heard a bit of it in the car. Thanks for the link pal.

1 Like

No bother. I might put it on for tomorrow’s LSR myself

Listened to it on the drive to mayo. There is a good story here but this doc doesn’t tell it well. A bit all over the place.

@Fagan_ODowd might enjoy the bit about the Waterford gig in The Savoy. The promoters were good characters.

2 Likes

Has he expressed any views on other bombers?

I’d agree with you to be honest.

I thought it was an interesting story that wasn’t very well told. A poor enough production by RTÉ Doc On One standards.

They may have been better off doing a full piece around one of the gigs - e.g the Waterford or Donegal ones. Too much narration, and not half enough good anecdotes.

1 Like

Just listened to the documentary, can’t say I was too impressed, no real hook to it at all.

Had you dealings or involvement with the co-op in Waterford that put on the show @Fagan_ODowd ?

None at all. I was working in Kilkenny at the time and thumbed a lift down to the gig. The two boys are still involved the the music business in Waterford which you can imagine is not a lucrative trade.

1 Like

:eek:

Let me get my hands on your mammary glands!

1 Like

Like chopin said: “simplicity is the final achievement”.
It’s mental how marr lifted those lads on his back, brilliant as they were. God must have sent him.

3 Likes

Marr was undoubtedly brilliant but Morrissey was the X factor for me.

1 Like

1 Like