The Snooker Thread (Part 1)

Splendid bants here between the two players amid a very tense safety battle.

@Bandage wins six frames in a row to win 6-2 and face Neil Robertson in the final.

Murphy leading Robertson 6-1.

Murphy one away from glory. Robertson not at the races at all.

Murphy won 10-2

This is really turning into an absolute cunt of a night. How the fuck did Bunter win 10-2?:confused:

The Welsh Open started today, it’s traditionally one of the biggest events on the circuit. It has been reduced from an eleven to a seven day event and there is a new venue, the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff.

No big shocks to speak of so far in the first round. It’s been a good day for the Irish with Ken Doherty defeating 17 year old Chinese prodigy Zhou Yuelong 4-3 to set up a clash with Matthew Stevens in the second round. Kilkenny cueman David Morris had a facile 4-0 victory over Joe O’Connor and faces a daunting task in the next round against Neil Robertson.

Fergal O’Brien gets his campaign underway this evening against world #72 Sam Baird.

I’ve had a speculative punt on Mark Selby at 8/1. The Jester has shown signs that his game is getting back up to it’s best, his recent German Masters final victory over the in-form Shaun Murphy was put in the notebook. He’s housed in the bottom half of the draw away from O’Sullivan and Robertson and hopefully can give me a run for my money.

Devout Muslin Rory McLeod in Cardiff tonight…
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9_YbP2IEAA4RH9.jpg

The top half of the draw play their first two rounds tonight with the bottom half playing their first two rounds tomorrow night, sorry for any confusion caused :oops:

Shaun Murphy is the first big name casualty. He’s been dumped out 4-3 by Jamie Jones, Ronnie O’Sullivan survived a scare against Rory McLeod, coming from two behind to triumph 4-2. Ken Doherty has just leveled it up 3-3 in his match with Matthew Stevens, the deciding frame has just started.

[QUOTE=“Sandymount Red, post: 1093100, member: 1074”]The Welsh Open started today, it’s traditionally one of the biggest events on the circuit. It has been reduced from an eleven to a seven day event and there is a new venue, the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff.

No big shocks to speak of so far in the first round. It’s been a good day for the Irish with Ken Doherty defeating 17 year old Chinese prodigy Zhou Yuelong 4-3 to set up a clash with Matthew Stevens in the second round. Kilkenny cueman David Morris had a facile 4-0 victory over Joe O’Connor and faces a daunting task in the next round against Neil Robertson.

Fergal O’Brien gets his campaign underway this evening against world #72 Sam Baird.

I’ve had a speculative punt on Mark Selby at 8/1. The Jester has shown signs that his game is getting back up to it’s best, his recent German Masters final victory over the in-form Shaun Murphy was put in the notebook. He’s housed in the bottom half of the draw away from O’Sullivan and Robertson and hopefully can give me a run for my money.[/QUOTE]

This carries ranking points yes? Mad to think that a much more recognised competition like the Masters doesn’t.

The Masters is an invitational, top 14 ranked players in the world plus two wild cards. The Welsh is one of the few events BBC televise these days, it’s a massive tournament.

Doherty lost the final frame and Morris trails Robertson 2-0 at the moment.

Ronnie has been knocked out by the resurgent Matthew Stevens, Graeme Dott and Mark Allen also out. Neil Robertson was lucky to edge past Jamie Cope and Mark Selby is playing a final frame decider against Peter Ebdon right now.

Shocks galore in Cardiff leave us with the unlikely semi-final line up of John Higgins V Luca Brecel and Mark Williams V Ben Woolaston.

Draw for the Qualifying Rounds of the World Snooker Championship made today. Play gets underway on Wednesday. Standout tie is a repeat of the 1993 World Championship semi final - Jimmy White v James Wattana

Is it true Ken Doherty is playing a woman?

Indeed it is, he’s playing 10 times wimmins world champion Reanne Evans in the first qualifying round.

:eek:

Is this the sporting event to unite the board? A fucking woman.

Doherty trailing Reanne Wilson 3-2 at the moment. He’ll surely retire on the spot if he loses this.

Is she any use?

Ken leads 5-4 at the end of the session. Play resumes in this best of 19 battle at 7 o’clock tonight.