The Snooker Thread (Part 2)

Ah Jak threw it away there. Absolutely gripping, edge of the seat, stallone hanging off a cliff with his fingertips stuff but heā€™s fucked it. 10-7 game on, itā€™s over now

1 Like

That attempted double smacked of desperation not a steely determination to win. See the sequence out. The chance to join a pantheon of legends against the weakest of opposition, heā€™ll never get this opportunity again. He surely wonā€™t sleep tonight.

Good opening frame of the day for Jones to take with a break of 64 after Wilson had first chance but let him in with a loose safety shot. 11-7.

Jones absolutely had to win that opening frame. 12-6 after the hammer blow of losing the last frame last night from a snooker needed position and it would have been a procession.

He went less that 1/5 to win that frame 9 times last night. I donā€™t know how he lost it. Pressure on the other lad as well as he knows he will never ever get a better chance than this.

Who dares wins. Unbelievably ballsy red to the middle by Jones. What a chance now with the reds spread to the four winds.

Kyren Wilson is unlikely to be strong favourite in a world final ever again. Much greater pressure on him in my view. From the bit Iā€™ve seen of Jones in this tournament he has the just the right about of abandon and I think he still has a great chance of winning the title, in fact I think heā€™ll do it.

1 Like

Reeling him in. Real confidence about him today

Is snooker better or worse now than in the past
Looking at Hendry and Davis here, would they beat these lads in their pomp

Surprising Wilson conceded there needing two snookers.

I felt there was a psychological turning point at 10-4 last night when Jones got Wilson in a snooker and Wilson joked ā€œHelp!ā€ to the crowd. It smacked of a player who thought he already had the match in the bag.

The last time there was a Celtic v Rangers Scottish Cup final before this year was 2002 and the last time the final at the Crucible went to a deciding frame was 2002. I wouldnā€™t be at all surprised to see this one go to a deciding frame tonight.

Yeah, these two they definitely would.

Hendry would eat these lads without salt. Standards a good bit lower now due to fewer snooker halls, etc. Lads used be done in their 30s. Fact that Ronnie and Higgins still competitive a sign of the lower standards.

Are there any stats to support the standard is lower? Visibly certainly seems so

Would Jak Jones be the first winner in open collar?

Pockets are like buckets compared to years ago at most tournaments I have heard. Tighter this few weeks.

Pockets are visibly looser now compared to the 90s. In the 90s they were tighter than (insert metaphor for something very tight).

The lifestyles and professionalism of a lot of older top players now would be superior to a lot of the top players of yesteryear which is one aspect of their longevity but the talent coming through is well below the standard of before.

1 Like

its like boxing, the world has changed and there is just not as many playing and practising for as long

Cricket in the West Indies is another victim of changing societies. The raw material that used to make great fast bowlers is now more inclined to sprinting.

In the US the raw material that used make great boxers and sprinters is more inclined towards NFL.

Darts is the new snooker. Less time involved, more money, more television coverage, more stardom.

1 Like

I remember the Pyramid club in Togher had a professional standard table which had been used in Goffs and the pockets were much tighter than the club tables, but Iā€™d imagine the specs of the tour tables will have stayed the same?
Iā€™d say a lot of lads in college now will never have played on a full size table, probably never have played the game at all come to think of it

Back in the 80s and into the 90s the tables were all made by BCE. Then Riley took over in the 90s. Since the 2010s theyā€™ve used these Star Strachan tables which I think are made in China. My belief the pockets are looser now is just a general perception from watching over the years. The pockets in the 90s were absolutely cuntish to a level that just isnā€™t there now. I suspect Barry Hearnā€™s return to snooker heralded looser pockets in the same way his involvement in darts heralded bigger trebles.

13-8

1 Like