The Sport of Kings & Equine Matters šŸ

Horse racing is popular around these parts, so its about time we got a dedicated thread.

The flat is finished really, but we have the breeders cup and Melbourne Cup coming up.

The national hunt season is up and running nad all roads lead to prestbury park next March.

We can cover them all in this threadā€¦

The great Zarkava has called it a day, and its time for her to start spitting them out. In my opinion the mare is mroe more important than the sire in breeding, so this one will be sensational. A slight pity the Aga Khan will probably stick to his own blooodlines with her.

Alain de Royer-Dupre has paid tribute to his wonder filly Zarkava following her retirement to stud.

The Chantilly handler has cared for the daughter of Zamindar throughout her career and hailed her as one of the best he had ever trained following her win in the Prix de lā€™Arc de Triomphe.

ā€œAs a trainer, it is normal to feel some disappointment at her retirement,ā€ he explained.

ā€œBut I understand that it is important for the valuable continuation of the Aga Khanā€™s breeding operation. She is going to be a wonderful prospect at stud.ā€

A winner on each of her seven starts, Zarkava confirmed her superstar status with a stunning victory at Longchamp last weekend, a race that Royer-Dupre believes epitomised her natural talent.

ā€œThat was the best race for her because when she crossed the finishing line, she had won so easily. That was unbelievable - especially as she hit traffic jams during the race,ā€ he continued.

"I always said her greatest quality was her acceleration. The ability to make up so much space in such a short space of time - like she showed in the Vermeille [when left in the stalls] - was incredible. "It is not very often a horse like this comes along - I have been very lucky. She is possibly the best I have trained, but Dalakhani [his previous Arc winner] was also a great horse to have.

ā€œZarkava has been a beautiful story.ā€

Good man Hangblaa - anyone heading to Punchestown on Wednesday or Thursday? Was hoping to get along myself for a few hours on Thursday but not sure if I can now.

Usually only keep an interest in NH as have no real interest in the flat. My first of the ones to watch for the season - Pandorama - won the bumper in Naas on Sunday. Very impressive but didnt have much to beat. Not sure what the plan will be for it next but Iā€™d keep an eye on it.

In national hunt matters, I watched Dear Villez with interest in Limerick on Sunday. Looks liek Nicholls is going to hit all the big races over fences and sticks here this year as the prize money far outweighs the UK (ā‚¬74k on sunday).

Kauto Star has an entry in the Ulster national in Down Royal. In fairness it makes sense as it is a nice handy course for his first run.

The best bumper so far this year was in Gowran two weeks ago. The first 3 Oligarch Society, Qaspal and Gus Macrae were all serious horses. And will keep an eye on all, even the the 2nd and 3rd will be no price the next day out.

The winner has an entry ina very good mares race in Punchestown tomorrow. Jessie Harrington and Mag Mullins also have good ones in itā€¦

Decent days racing in Limerick on Sunday, with the latest leg of Paul Nichols assault on the big Irish handicaps. Dear villez was very impressive in the Munster National in seeing off top weight Mr Top Notch who was by no means disgraced in 2nd, giving over a stone to english horse.

The 2nd Nichols horse Marodima disappointed in the Grae 3 chase afterwards but canā€™t take much away from Finger on the Pulse who was very impressive and shwed his win at cheltenham was no fluke and he could be a serious horse to reckoned with this year.

The money was down for Adrian McGuinesses Beau Michael in the third race, and as in the past with this horse the money wasnā€™t wrong as he ran out a comfortable winner from Silverhand.

Things are really starting to pick up now, so should be a good season in store.

I expressed dismay to a friend of mine that Zarkava will be visiting Dalakhani next spring. I felt that he wasnā€™t good enough for her which I suppose is fair enough given that heā€™s only standing for ā‚¬40,000 and that she should be visiting a stallion with a price tag marked ā€˜privateā€™. He pointed out that still and all he has sired two classic winners in his first crop, with the Irish Oaks and English St Leger in the bag already. The Aga wants to support his own lines but youā€™d wonder where she will go next year. Galileo might be a bit too staying for her, some top miler maybeā€¦hmmm Iā€™ll have to have a think about that.

Kingmambo or Danehill Dancer would be great for Zarkava, it must be noted, they donā€™t stick exclusively to their own bloodlines

I half expected her to visit Kingmambo myself. They often go outside their own lines alright, they even bred a Group 1 winner to Desert Style recentlyā€¦Iā€™d be giving most of the credit there to the damā€¦

A very impressive maiden hurdle victory today in Punchestown for Thomas Mullins Oscar Dan Dan. Been following the horse since a very impressive bumper victory in Thurles last year where he was left 20l behind at the start and still coasted through the field to a comfortable victory. He was beaten into 2nd in his follow up bumper at chirstmas, but the ride he was given was far from impressive and a Willie Mullins outsider won the race :smiley:

He won at his ease today and at a very generous 11/2. Could be one to watch in the coming season.

In other news Venalamar, a horse I was really looking forward to seeing over fences this year, looks like heā€™s going to miss the entire season due to injury.

[quote=ā€œThe Runtā€]A very impressive maiden hurdle victory today in Punchestown for Thomas Mullins Oscar Dan Dan. Been following the horse since a very impressive bumper victory in Thurles last year where he was left 20l behind at the start and still coasted through the field to a comfortable victory. He was beaten into 2nd in his follow up bumper at chirstmas, but the ride he was given was far from impressive and a Willie Mullins outsider won the race :smiley:

He won at his ease today and at a very generous 11/2. Could be one to watch in the coming season.

In other news Venalamar, a horse I was really looking forward to seeing over fences this year, looks like heā€™s going to miss the entire season due to injury.[/quote]

Was given him as a tip for the Cheltenham Bumper in Leopardstown last year. Have been following him since and heā€™s an impressive animal. Best horse in Thos Mullins yard apparently.

Looking forward to seeing if Time Electric reappears this year as well. Was told to watch out for him early last season, and that he was serious machine. It was Christmas before he ran his bumper but won it looking very classy, but never went on to Cheltenham and then flopped in a bumper in Navan.

Anybody had a proper look through the card for Punchestown today yet?

I see Trafford Lad is making his chasing debut today over 2m2f at 4:15. Was a very smart hurdler last year but always has the look of a chaser. Not the biggest fan of Dusty Sheehyā€™s chasers but should be interesting to see how this one goes today.

Had a look thorugh it lasat night okā€¦

One that catches my eye, is one from the notebookā€¦ De Bromheads runner in the first. Impressive bumper horse in a middling maiden hurdle.

Trafford Lad looks like a horse that will jump fences ok, but would not dream of backing him, and he will probably be money on. Fantouche will come on for the win in Gowran and Kalderon is no mug either.

Christy Roches ā€˜Wheels Upā€™ is another smart hurdler going over fences today and he might be worth a look, but Tony Martin has one in the race with Ruby up, so thats always dangerous, especially if there is money for it.

Keep an eye on Michael Oā€™Briens runner in the bumper and also John Keilyā€™s as I have heard good reports on both.

Got word for Michael Oā€™Brienā€™s in the last aswell.

Seeing Kicking King languish today confirms my view that if they want to carry on with him they should get a hunter cert for him and take him down that road.

Mick Oā€™Leary was pretty sensible in the interview, horse doesnā€™t owe them anything and itā€™s one day at a time, if he goes wrong again heā€™ll be retired.

[quote=ā€œHangBlaaā€]Had a look thorugh it lasat night okā€¦

One that catches my eye, is one from the notebookā€¦ De Bromheads runner in the first. Impressive bumper horse in a middling maiden hurdle.

Trafford Lad looks like a horse that will jump fences ok, but would not dream of backing him, and he will probably be money on. Fantouche will come on for the win in Gowran and Kalderon is no mug either.

Christy Roches ā€˜Wheels Upā€™ is another smart hurdler going over fences today and he might be worth a look, but Tony Martin has one in the race with Ruby up, so thats always dangerous, especially if there is money for it.

Keep an eye on Michael Oā€™Briens runner in the bumper and also John Keilyā€™s as I have heard good reports on both.[/quote]

Well Trafford Lad won following a stewards enquiry. He was originally beaten by the width of a midges diddy by Rare Bob, but the result was overturned due to TL being being hampered by RB who was always veering to the left coming up the home straight.

Nice win for WOA, who looked very impressive but canā€™t read too much into the race as he didnā€™t beat much. I donā€™t think KK is a shadow of the horse he was and Watson Lake didnā€™t feature at all in the race.

have never seen a trainerā€™s horses drift in the betting so many times and still win than Emma Lavelleā€™sā€¦had a winner there in ludlow 4.50 that went from 5ā€™s to 10ā€™s and romped homeā€¦same at weekend with crack away jack going fom 2/1 fav out to 7/2 before pissing upā€¦mustnā€™t be a betting stableā€¦

Itā€™s the opposite scumpot, itā€™s a major gambling stable. Alot of those on-course drifts though are due to connections having it all on in the morning, then there isnā€™t a rex for it on course and it drifts out. They sometimes open up very short and donā€™t see a bet, so start pushing it out and it can gather momentum.

Reading the poker threadā€¦ thank fook for horses and dogs, because lads talking about cards is fucking ridiculous. Each to there own though.

Watched WoA last night on the sky+ā€¦ Why the fcuk was Supreme Mover entered on the raceā€¦ the went off at a canter and he was tailed off after 2.

Kicking Kings jumping is gone to pot. Backed him in Gowran when he fell. Had a look at him in the ring and he was very very fit. Geraghty is the wrong pilot though if a lad needs a bit of help jumping.

Fair pointā€¦whoā€™d be known as the biggest betting yard both flat and jumps?