The Saturday/Sunday Game Thread

Connolly being entitled ‘to his good name’ :smile:

Ask the lad he battered in McGowan’s who suffered a fractured eye socket.

The rule is there in black and white. 12 week ban. Of course Spillane has a vested interested, he was always going to put the boot in. If it was James O’Donoghue he’d be defending him and exonerating him of any blame whatsoever.

Connolly has got away with enough, on and off the pitch. In fairness I didn’t see the incident live so going by the reaction I was expecting a Paolo Di Canio type push. Very disappointed when it turned out to be only a minor incident really. It was completely blown out of proportion but by the letter of the law he was in the wrong.

Spillane was wrong to go to town on him that night but equally Dolan and Brolly were gas there. Ciaran Whelan wasn’t needed with those two towing the party line tonight.

1 Like

The 2 Carlow lads knocking each other out for the final Laois point was so tragic it was funny.

1 Like

The comedy camogie section seems of a slightly higher standard than normal tonight.

Oh right, it’s Carlow v Laois.

1 Like

What does that have to do with anything though. He has admitted be did it. He got the minimum available sentence for the offence. So unless you think that Spillane giving out about it was the ONLY reason he was sanctioned for the offence then your point is moot. If he had gotten any sentence above the minimum you might have a point but he didn’t

Cracking red card for the Laois lad.

If you’re going to get sent off you may as well make it worth while like that.

Fuck, I didn’t realise Carlow had that bluffer Bonnar and his fucking clipboard in charge. He’ll do fuck all else with them now.

I think it was a huge difference.

Look at how Tiernan McCann was hit with a made up ban because of the hysteria from Ciaran Whelan and Colm O’Rourke.

Very little was said about Michael Shields doing something similar a few weeks before and no ban was applied.

This wasn’t a made up ban
The player himself and his manager admitted he did it
He got the minimum available sentence

Why do camogie keepers wear the same jersey as the outfield players?

Makes it less embarrassing when they fumble a high ball into their own net

6 Likes

Nice shot of Mags’s legs there.

Pity they were covered.

It was influenced by Pat Spillane’s overreaction.

Putting your hand on the referee carries the same ban as Connolly got done for, there have been multiple incidents of that subsequent to Connolly’s ban. Nothing said about them, no bans.

Connolly was singled out because of his track record, the GAA are quick to cave to popular opinion.

4 Likes

Pretty sure GrĂĄinne McElwain said in her report that Laois played with 15 under 21s. This was completely made up.

4 Likes

I think the media reaction - RTE specifically - had a lot to do with it. The referee and linesman deemed it not worthy at the time despite seeing (and feeling) it at the time. Conveniently it was in his report after the drama brewed up by the radio and Sunday Game panel

2 Likes

There was fuck all in it in fairness

4hrs to get from Offaly to Wexford, ffs

2 Likes

How old is Mags D’Arcy ?

They were delayed by the National Cycling Championships seemingly

One of them must have been driving the bus

2 Likes

So you think he would have got off Scot free if Spillane wasn’t on TSG panel? Just to be clear. There is no inbetween. He either gets 12 weeks or nothing

FWIW. I was watching the game live. And commented on here, as did others, almost immediately that he was in trouble. Without any prompting from Spillane. Twitter went nuts. It was going to be a story Spillane or no spillane

1 Like