The Tennis Thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7208679.stm

BBC got it wrong here. They say it was the French in 2005 but Nadal was in it.

Sharapova won the women’s title. I like her.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7246195.stm

Seles retires. Think the stabbing had a huge bearing on her career. She would’ve won more slams had it not happened. Herself ad Graf had some good tussles and she was well able to beat Graf on her day (except for on grass). Wouldn’t have been a fan of hers as I was a big Graf fan but wouldn’t have stabbed her and it’s a shame she didn’t get to fulfil all her potential.

Looks like Henin is retiring as well…

World number one Justine Henin is set to announce her retirement from tennis, according to Belgian media reports.

Newspapers claim the 25-year-old, who has withdrawn from this week’s Italian Open, citing fatigue, will make the announcement at 1300 BST on Wednesday.

The Belgian Tennis Federation confirmed that Henin will hold a press conference but did not state the reason why.

Henin last week wrote on her website that she had been training without any problems and was injury free.

Wimbeldon starts today and I am off work…

Just like the summers being off from school…

Going to have a gander around for a tennis bat later on…

Liking the look of this Ivanovic bird as well…

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Wimbeldon starts today and I am off work…

Just like the summers being off from school…

Going to have a gander around for a tennis bat later on…

Liking the look of this Ivanovic bird as well…[/quote]

tennis bat?

I’ll second that.

A tennis bat?

They play with rackets Farmer.

If you are looking for a bet, may I suggest one Roger Federer to win the Men’s title and Bandage’s mate Sharapova for the women’s.

Come on with your predictions then.

I’m really hoping for British winners this year so I’m going for:

Men’s Title: Jeremy Bates.
Women’s Title: Jo Durie.
Mixed Doubles: Andrew Castle and Annabel Croft.

nadal & Williams for me

Federer was a broken man after the French so this could be Nadals time

no one player dominates in the tennis so Ill go for Williams as she has a good record in SW19

[quote=“north county corncrake”]nadal & Williams for me

Federer was a broken man after the French so this could be Nadals time

no one player dominates in the tennis so Ill go for Williams as she has a good record in SW19

[/quote]

Venus or Serena NCC ?

I’ll go for Nadal in the men’s as he was awesome at Queens and will have the belief to really go after Federer this year.

Don’t care about the women’s but I’ll go for Jankovic on the basis that she’ll be pissed off having been beaten to a first grand slam by Ivanovic.

Ivanovic is one set down and 5-4 down in the final on serve…

If she goes out it will be a big loss to the tournament…

Djokovic in danger of going out as well to Safin. 2 sets down and 2-0 down in the third…

Djokovic beaten in straight sets.

Ivanovic won 10-8 in the third

I always liked Safin, primarily because of his care-free attitude. He doesn’t seem to give that much of a shit and just goes out and plays off the cuff.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Ivanovic is one set down and 5-4 down in the final on serve…

If she goes out it will be a big loss to the tournament…[/quote]

Did you see her jammy net cord at 30/40 in that game. Fook me that was close. I like Ana but would only give her 7.5 out of 10. Over-rated much like Sharpova.

Nah Ana is class. Could do with a bit of volume in the chest area but apart from that she’s flawless…

The lad’s a lunatic. He got fined a few years ago cos he got pissed off and just started letting the opponent ace him and firing shots deliberatley out/into the net/anywhere. Talented though. I don’t like Djokovic for some reason so happy enough he’s out. Off to see if that’s good news for Andy Murray.

She’s only 20 so you never know…