The Trial of Officer Derek Chauvin for the killing of George Floyd

Trial started today, expected to last 4-5 weeks. Arguably a bigger legal event than the OJ trial in 1995 and with more serious consequences for the country in terms of social unrest following the verdict. In the court of public opinion Officer Chauvin has already been convicted of murder in the first degree, in the real world he is charged with second-degree manslaughter, second-degree unintentional murder, and third degree murder.

The case for the prosecution is that Chauvin knelt on a defenseless man’s neck for over 9 minutes, resulting in his death from asphyxia, and from the video evidence and eye witnesses this appears an open and shut case. The case for the defense is George Floyd was full of Fentanal and speed, resisted arrest and officer Chauvin used a restraint technique he and all Minnesota officers were trained to use. His death according to the defense was due to a heart attack brought upon by a Fentanal overdose.

So, fuck Covid19, let’s get on to the main news story of 2021. My early prediction is that Officer Chauvin will be convicted of third degree murder (causing the death of another due to a depraved mind, an important distinction from the culpable negligence standard of manslaughter) and will be sentenced to 12 years imprisonment.

Please try and keep this thread focused on the case, this should be a test of the forum’s ability to discuss a historical trial without the usual childish cries of racist.

7 Likes

Hang him

I can’t breathe

2 Likes

Excellent thread, and a nice break from the humdrum of thread after thread on vaccines and case numbers.

Are you not underestimating the unconscious racial bias this forum has against white males?

This might save him from the manslaughter charge.

We should bring back Sid for the trial.

Hope he burns in hell. Knowing America he’ll be give some community service and an award.

Lynch him.

Set him free.

Only love will set him free

Surely he’ll have to be made an example of?

What we going for? 8-10 years?

Accidental manslaughter - 6 years.

Floyd was a dangerous individual high on drugs. officer Chauvin used excessive force alright but he was under duress and trying to restrain a powerful drugged individual.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see the film with Chauvin played by Sam Rockwell.

2 Likes

I’d watch.anything with Rockwell in it.

Perhaps Venus Williams can play Floyd? She was very good in The Green Mile

4 Likes

I saw that Best of Enemies film lately. Rockwell is brilliant as the KKK guy.

1 Like

Brilliant flick.

1 Like

Repent.

Forgive.

Kill.

Day two over with a bit of drama at the end. The main witness today was an off duty female firefighter who witnessed and videotaped the incident. She was a very good witness for the prosecution, but things got heated under cross examination where she got a bit combative with not just the defense attorney but also with the judge. The jury were fucked out and the judge gave her a stern lecture on not questioning the court, and to just answer the questions asked.

2 Likes

Did he die of asphyxiation or heart attack?

What are the respective sentences for each?