The Trial of Officer Derek Chauvin for the killing of George Floyd

The two murder charges are likely in the 10 - 15 years range (2nd degree murder has a max sentence of 40 years and 3rd degree murder 25 years) and the manslaughter around 3-5 years (max 10 years).

Heā€™ll be out in time for the 2030 Irish unification party.

If they can make a murder charge stick. I think they can, the defense lawyer is pretty weak and the whole country demands justice.

Murder charge has to be unanimous though, doesnā€™t it? Tough ask.
Is it the same for the less serious charges?

Any chance this scumbag gets off?

Any verdict in this case has to be unanimous.

1 Like

he will be convicted - just a question of whether itā€™s manslaughter or murder

Floyd was known to police - he was drugged up and a big manā€¦ He had to be subdued.

Itā€™s manslaughter alright. 6 years inside.

The defense has to convince one juror that there is reasonably doubt his actions caused the death and were unjustified. The defense will argue it was the drugs the killed him and that Chauvin was doing what he has been trained to do. Whatever about the murder charges I donā€™t see any way he gets off on manslaughter.

1 Like

The knee didnā€™t kill him according to medical evidence but he was in custody of police who had duty of care and failed to render aid even when he passed out and had nose bleed and then stopped breathing.

Itā€™s manslaughter definitely. It may well be murder.

There will be murder if its manslaughter.

There will be.

depraved indifference murder, no?

The autopsy concluded a homicide due to heart attack brought about by the neck compression and other factors. The duration of the restraint and the obvious distress he was in are the big factors for the defense to overcome, Chauvin clearly didnā€™t give a fuck.

Isnā€™t manslaughter murder anyway?

Thatā€™s the third degree murder charge and the most likely outcome I think. The wording is depraved mind, a tough legal term to nail down in a courtroom.

1 Like

Yeah he continued the restraint for nearly 3 minutes after he passed out. Thatā€™s hard to explain away.

No, manslaughter is culpable negligence.

1 Like

no mens rea for murder in manslaughter

1 Like

Well shur whether your killed by murder or manslaughter, youā€™re still waking up dead

2 Likes