The Underrated Players Thread

[quote=“myboyblue”]Consistency should count for this, much more so than medals, for me Sherlock was anything but consistent in his career.

Ciaran McDonald.[/QUOTE]

The thread is underrated not consistent.
McDonald is actually vastly over-rated. Selfish, lazy by times and a scaldation to Management. Talented. yes, but no way under-rated.

If the person is vastly underrated he should at least be a be getting his game with his team week in week out surely?

Very easy to underrate a fella who is on the bench.

:smiley:

[quote=“Boxtyeater”]The thread is underrated not consistent.
McDonald is actually vastly over-rated. Selfish, lazy by times and a scaldation to Management. Talented. yes, but no way under-rated.[/QUOTE]

Can’t agree at all there Boxty.

One of the best players I have ever seen play in the flesh.

A class act.

McDonald is actually vastly over-rated. Selfish, lazy by times and a scaldation to Management. Talented. yes, but no way under-rated.[/QUOTE]

Went down a lot in my estimations when I heard that he was going out with a fat munter

Good shout on Doyle pukey, great should.

Kevin Walsh.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Can’t agree at all there Boxty.

One of the best players I have ever seen play in the flesh.

A class act.[/QUOTE]

A class act no doubt but way over-rated. Would ruin any game plan that he didn’t think up himself.
Dropped back way too deep to garner ball, bollocks around on solo’s and then hope that someone was clued in to where he was going to pop it.
A managers and colleagues nightmare and totally one sided to boot. McGuinness would eat him up any day…:smiley:
You must only go to Connacht c/ship matches.*

[SIZE=“3”][SIZE=“1”]in the flesh[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Sherlock since 2000:
Had a very decent championship in 2000 including a man of the match performance from centre half forward in the drawn Leinster Final against Kildare
01 - played very well from what I remember in th replay against Kerry when Dublin were trying to make a comeback
02 - didn’t get much of a look in under Lyons that year, came on as a sub a few times.
03 - out of the team until coming on a sub v Derry when he scored a goal. Dublin’s best player by a distance in the defeat to Armagh
04 - present has been very consistent and usually good for at least two points a game from play. As I said earlier, he is a very intelligent runner and creates a lot of space for the Brogans and Keaney. Stuff people don’t really notice. Dublin have flirted with dropping him a couple of times and the forward line never functions as well without him. He’s getting even better with age.

You’d want to know fairly little about hurling not to rate Doyle. I’d say Conor Clancy was extremely underrated. Not the finest exponent of the ancient art but incredibly effective in a thankless role.

[quote=“sid waddell”]Sherlock since 2000:
Had a very decent championship in 2000 including a man of the match performance from centre half forward in the drawn Leinster Final against Kildare
01 - played very well from what I remember in th replay against Kerry when Dublin were trying to make a comeback
02 - didn’t get much of a look in under Lyons that year, came on as a sub a few times.
03 - out of the team until coming on a sub v Derry when he scored a goal. Dublin’s best player by a distance in the defeat to Armagh
04 - present has been very consistent and usually good for at least two points a game from play. As I said earlier, he is a very intelligent runner and creates a lot of space for the Brogans and Keaney. Stuff people don’t really notice. Dublin have flirted with dropping him a couple of times and the forward line never functions as well without him. He’s getting even better with age.[/QUOTE]

Top summary there Sid…:D:D

Great shout…the oul’ Grizzly could hold his own in any type of game - all out catch an kick or the movement game but his ability to win primary possession consistently at midfield has only been matched in the last 15 years by Dara O’S, Paul McGrane and fitfully by Cirn Whelan.

Agree but he was a fantastic talent and had many fantastic games too.

Omahony made a big decision dropping him off the panel but it was the correct one. I see that prat Mortimer is only a sub too. I like the way he has restructured the team and I think they are serious value at 20/1 to win Sam even as a back to lay.

Mortimer is coming back from injury. He’ll be back.

[quote=“KIB man”]Agree but he was a fantastic talent and had many fantastic games too.

I see that prat Mortimer is only a sub too. [/QUOTE]
Mortimer really is a prat alright.

We need to abolish Gaelic football altogether says Galway old timer Seamus Leyden.

Fooking brilliant. And just after the three pundits had argued there was nothing wrong with the game and this year’s championship was getting unwarranted criticism. The auld guy gets wheeled out then with all guns blazing.

[quote=“KIB man”]Agree but he was a fantastic talent and had many fantastic games too.

Omahony made a big decision dropping him off the panel but it was the correct one. QUOTE]
I’ll agree there KIB, a great individualistic talent but an annoying team-mate.

Very,very limited player, of worthless value to any team (even Leitrim) Devoid of work ethic, unable or unwilling to contest primary possession and one footed to an astonishing degree.
A one-legged Michael Flatley if that parlance is applicable…:eek

Did he mention his own contribution to legendary acts of suspicion
The “thrown ball” goal in the Final of '66?

Bet not, but Mattie Mac is dead isn’t he?

[quote=“Boxtyeater;198275][QUOTE=KIB man”]Agree but he was a fantastic talent and had many fantastic games too.

Omahony made a big decision dropping him off the panel but it was the correct one. QUOTE]
I’ll agree there KIB, a great individualistic talent but an annoying team-mate.

Very,very limited player, of worthless value to any team (even Leitrim) Devoid of work ethic, unable or unwilling to contest primary possession and one footed to an astonishing degree.
A one-legged Michael Flatley if that parlance is applicable…:eek[/QUOTE]

Ah your being harsh there. He has his limitations but he can score from play which isnt to be underestimated and is a genuine threat at his best. Great movement he has but short of being genuine top class

[quote=“Boxtyeater”]Did he mention his own contribution to legendary acts of suspicion
The “thrown ball” goal in the Final of '66?

Bet not, but Mattie Mac is dead isn’t he?[/QUOTE]

If thats who I think it is he’s an ex-teacher of mine!! Didn’t see the sunday game unfortunately