The Underrated Players Thread

Red Barry, Wexford footballer.

Michael Kavanagh, Kilkenny hurler.

As bandage already pointed out mickey conway, the man is a class act. Only playin with a intermediate team in Kildare too who wouldn’t be anywhere near winnin a championship so just goes too show you don’t have to be from a senior club to make the step up of county football or hurling.

Paul Galvin is the most underrated player in Ireland.

True about p.galvin alright. Probably self inflicted though with all the controvesy that surrounds him.

Get out.

The mans a bollix but a seriously good footballer.

Suppose. I just find it very difficult to get past the first part.

[quote=“KIB man;198285][QUOTE=Boxtyeater”]

Ah your being harsh there. He has his limitations but he can score from play which isnt to be underestimated and is a genuine threat at his best. Great movement he has but short of being genuine top class[/QUOTE]

I trust we’re on the Conor Mortimer theme here: Blonde, Bottleless, Bull-headed and the rest…
Give me Conor McMenamin (the portable bull) or God spare us all, Willie joe Padden any day…:smiley:
Mortimers…:eek:

Aye, Paul Galvin was a great shout there. I realise some people hate him, but he can kick points effortlessly off either foot, Sherlock only started doing it with his good foot in the last 5 years.

Wouldn’t have thought Tomas was underrated, he’s certainly not down this way anyway. Wasn’t he footballer of the year one year as well?
One of my favourite players i’ve seen, super guy to boot.

He won 2 All-Stars Puke, underrated by who?

True for ya, but I would call him underrated in that he rarely gets mentioned for being the driving force behind that backline. Its only when he’s missing is his loss felt.

If ever a one time footballer of the year can be called underrated, TOS can.

:eek:, 4 All Stars!

[quote=“myboyblue”]Theres no way I’d see Jayo as a legend, or many other people for that mater would either I’d say.

Meehan is a very underrated player, which was what this thread was about.[/QUOTE]

Jayo is over rated, not under rated. Fellas getting carried away with the dubs again, jesus will ye ever learn. Westmeath are terrible, Dublin made a good start and Westmeath gave up, they were an embarrassment to their county.

Jayo gets attention because he has a different look. He has been red raw useless on more occasions than i care to remember. Great man to stay in shape and keep going, but very over rated for me.

For a long time i though Derek Lyng and Tom Kenny were under rated, but in lasy year or two that has changed, and their value seems to be appreciated now.

In relation to the Clare team of the 1990’s the likes of Daly, Lohan, Jamesie, Seanie, Davy, Baker and Lynch got more of the plaudits and even now when most people talk about that team Doyle would be down the list of players that would be mentioned yet Doyle was every bit as good and as central to the success of that team as the boys mentioned above…

In fairness though it’s stretching it a bit far to say he was underrated, any player that has won an All-Star award could not be deemed to be underrated in my opinion.

Shane Ryan, Dublin. Think he’s a fantastic footballer and team player. Out shines Whelan for me the many times i saw them play together.

current all star and now a sub? I know your point but I think its about a year too late.

Ya i know, your right, i am kinda thinking in last summer. Could never understand how they used to go on about Whelan, with yer man having blinder after blinder beside him.

How many years was Ryan at the peak of his power? I say power because he had nothing else going for him except his freakish power, which I still wonder at.

The man couldnt kick the ball straight Kev, it was hilarious watching him try to kick scores.

Fierce nice fella, but if you want to mention an underrated Dublin player would one of ye fooking mention Barry Cahill and be done with it?

Niall Gilligan.

Arrived in the middle of the good times and has been Clare’s primary marksman ever since. Second only to Henry Shefflin in scores from play amongst current players, and yet still regarded as a bit of a plodder. Way more consistent than the likes of Lar Corbett, Eddie Brennan, Damien Hayes, or Andrew O’Shaughnessy and has way more big performances to his name. A Clare legend in my book.