The unofficial 🐐 NRL thread

Never heard of him.

The poster formerly known as Sidney in Sydney - pointless blog post 1

More splendid NRL footy action today as the Penrith Panthers tore the Wests Tigers apart by 26 points to 10 at the ridiculously inaccessible Leichardt Oval. After spending the morning watching Junior F standard hurling way out in the sticks in the godforsaken kip that is Ingleburn, I left too little time to get back into town for the 3pm kick-off. After vainly searching for a bus stop and a bus route that seemingly didn’t exist (even though listed on the official Sydney Transport website and map), I got a bus down the Parramatta Road and hopped out about two miles from the ground - the nearest point I could get within via bus. As it was by now half-time, I hailed a taxi. But I made a huge mistake in not crossing the road first - there is no right turn on Parramatta Road and the Indian guy driving it went a good mile beyond the junction where I wanted to turn off before going left and doing a u-turn to go straight across to the other side. After me instructing him where to go through a load of backtreets - he hadn’t a clue where the stadium was and appeared to have never heard of it, he eventually got me there with he second half already on. I went up to the gate and asked if there was any chance of getting in. “Sorry mate, it’s sold out” was the reply. “Feck”, says I with a resigned and exasperated look on my face, as this was one stadium I really wanted to visit - it’s the most played on ground in NRL/NSWRL history, and there isn’t another match there for a couple of months, by which time I’ll be away. I decided to have a walk around the ground anyway, hearing the noise and looking longingly up through the industrial fencing, chicken wire and trees to the backs of the spectators at the back of the huge grass bank, as if I were gazing at Facebook girl. I got around to the other side and asked a security man if there was any chance of getting in. “This is the players entrance, mate. Go up to the front.” I went up to the front and there were a group of people walking back in after being outside. I was about to ask the Maori guy doing security if there was any chance of getting in but instead I kind of tagged onto the back of the group, and he just nodded me on, even though it was obvious he knew I hadn’t a ticket… Two NRL matches attended so far - combined cost: $0. :clap:

Penrith were 16-0 up when I got in but Wests got a try down below where I was as I was making my way across to the big hill. I tried to sit down on the grass but the sun was blinding me so I went to stand further up towards the back. I allowed myself a beer as the combined cost of the taxi and the beer was still considerably lower than a face value ticket would have been. Penrith tagged on two tries to kill the game off. Wests got a consolation at the end. The banter between the supporters was splendid indeed, very GAA-like but with more swearing, people drinking cans of beer and openly flouting the no-smoking rule. In the manner of a creepy internet stalker, I positioned myself near a mixed group of Wests and Penrith supporters who were bantering each other. I made some general, neutral, twee comment about the match, whereupon a Penrith supporter replied in the general conversational manner of Australians (they call it shouting in Ireland). “Yaaoooouuuurre Irish, maaayte… HAND OF FROG!” Recognising that he was talking about Thierry Henry I replied that I had attended the match in question. “Naaaooow fackin, way, maaaayte…” He then toasted me with his can of VB. As I left I inquired from a supporter where I could get a black and amber hooped Tigers beanie like the one he was wearing. I told him they weren’t the only black and amber team with a feline nickname that would be torn apart today. He didn’t get that but responded “Ha, mate, my grandmother knitted this for me. I’ll give it to you for $100!”

Leichardt Oval is a wonderful venue, a compact, intimate venue by the banks of the Parramatta, although you can’t see the river as half the ground is hemmed in by woods. The hill there is a bit like the old one at Clones, and the surrounding area had the traffic jams afterwards to match. There’s a move on in Rugby League to try and do away with smaller suburban grounds like this one and Brookvale Oval in Manly which I attended last week, in a similar manner to what the AFL has done in Melbourne where all matches are played in only two stadiums. That would be a serious mistake. The match experience at both grounds is fantastic, with the more family orientated crowd sitting on the grass lower down, with the more hardcore element standing further back, where the banter, insults, beer and laughs fly around. It’s a real, proper match experience, way removed from the sterile dirge of flat pack new stadiums. Real people, real atmosphere, despite the cheesy public address announcements and songs. Some people would call this kind of a place a shithole and in Ireland there’s no way it would have a safety certificate, but I fucking loved it, despite the two hours it took to get back to where I’m staying in the eastern suburbs.

fantastic post

the oval is indeed legendary and I think the NRL shouldn’t move so many games away from the traditional grounds

did the broncos win?

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 977752, member: 2660”]The poster formerly known as Sidney in Sydney - pointless blog post 1

More splendid NRL footy action today as the Penrith Panthers tore the Wests Tigers apart by 26 points to 10 at the ridiculously inaccessible Leichardt Oval. After spending the morning watching Junior F standard hurling way out in the sticks in the godforsaken kip that is Ingleburn, I left too little time to get back into town for the 3pm kick-off. After vainly searching for a bus stop and a bus route that seemingly didn’t exist (even though listed on the official Sydney Transport website and map), I got a bus down the Parramatta Road and hopped out about two miles from the ground - the nearest point I could get within via bus. As it was by now half-time, I hailed a taxi. But I made a huge mistake in not crossing the road first - there is no right turn on Parramatta Road and the Indian guy driving it went a good mile beyond the junction where I wanted to turn off before going left and doing a u-turn to go straight across to the other side. After me instructing him where to go through a load of backtreets - he hadn’t a clue where the stadium was and appeared to have never heard of it, he eventually got me there with he second half already on. I went up to the gate and asked if there was any chance of getting in. “Sorry mate, it’s sold out” was the reply. “Feck”, says I with a resigned and exasperated look on my face, as this was one stadium I really wanted to visit - it’s the most played on ground in NRL/NSWRL history, and there isn’t another match there for a couple of months, by which time I’ll be away. I decided to have a walk around the ground anyway, hearing the noise and looking longingly up through the industrial fencing, chicken wire and trees to the backs of the spectators at the back of the huge grass bank, as if I were gazing at Facebook girl. I got around to the other side and asked a security man if there was any chance of getting in. “This is the players entrance, mate. Go up to the front.” I went up to the front and there were a group of people walking back in after being outside. I was about to ask the Maori guy doing security if there was any chance of getting in but instead I kind of tagged onto the back of the group, and he just nodded me on, even though it was obvious he knew I hadn’t a ticket… Two NRL matches attended so far - combined cost: $0. :clap:

Penrith were 16-0 up when I got in but Wests got a try down below where I was as I was making my way across to the big hill. I tried to sit down on the grass but the sun was blinding me so I went to stand further up towards the back. I allowed myself a beer as the combined cost of the taxi and the beer was still considerably lower than a face value ticket would have been. Penrith tagged on two tries to kill the game off. Wests got a consolation at the end. The banter between the supporters was splendid indeed, very GAA-like but with more swearing, people drinking cans of beer and openly flouting the no-smoking rule. In the manner of a creepy internet stalker, I positioned myself near a mixed group of Wests and Penrith supporters who were bantering each other. I made some general, neutral, twee comment about the match, whereupon a Penrith supporter replied in the general conversational manner of Australians (they call it shouting in Ireland). “Yaaoooouuuurre Irish, maaayte… HAND OF FROG!” Recognising that he was talking about Thierry Henry I replied that I had attended the match in question. “Naaaooow fackin, way, maaaayte…” He then toasted me with his can of VB. As I left I inquired from a supporter where I could get a black and amber hooped Tigers beanie like the one he was wearing. I told him they weren’t the only black and amber team with a feline nickname that would be torn apart today. He didn’t get that but responded “Ha, mate, my grandmother knitted this for me. I’ll give it to you for $100!”

Leichardt Oval is a wonderful venue, a compact, intimate venue by the banks of the Parramatta, although you can’t see the river as half the ground is hemmed in by woods. The hill there is a bit like the old one at Clones, and the surrounding area had the traffic jams afterwards to match. There’s a move on in Rugby League to try and do away with smaller suburban grounds like this one and Brookvale Oval in Manly which I attended last week, in a similar manner to what the AFL has done in Melbourne where all matches are played in only two stadiums. That would be a serious mistake. The match experience at both grounds is fantastic, with the more family orientated crowd sitting on the grass lower down, with the more hardcore element standing further back, where the banter, insults, beer and laughs fly around. It’s a real, proper match experience, way removed from the sterile dirge of flat pack new stadiums. Real people, real atmosphere, despite the cheesy public address announcements and songs. Some people would call this kind of a place a shithole and in Ireland there’s no way it would have a safety certificate, but I fucking loved it, despite the two hours it took to get back to where I’m staying in the eastern suburbs.[/QUOTE]

great post sid:clap:, i really enjoyed it
have never been there but i think if i was in oz RL is something id get into

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 978206, member: 367”]great post sid:clap:, i really enjoyed it
have never been there but i think if i was in oz RL is something id get into[/QUOTE]

:clap:

Great post Sid. Fuck the sanctimonious AFL who are all about big business the NRL with the random violence, tension and abusive fans is the true embodiment of Australia. Any joy with the project yet? How long you staying over there for?

FAO Young Ned of the Hill:

My beloved Sea Eagles just smashed your Broncos by quadruple scores at Brookie Oval. :clap:

Still top of the ladder. :clap:

I think it’s going to be us versus Penrith in the grannie this year.

mate, watch this, it was on last night - a sea eagle

i think its about half way through- the question is what annoys your partner - watch from 3 mins in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtNai0kK-wQ

Possibly the greatest finals footy game underway in the sydney footy stadium. Easts were 30 up after 20 odd minutes but its been a momentous day for north queensland on both sides of tbe equator as the cowboys have come back to level it, roosters just missed a kick and we’re tied 20 to go. Ripppa

cmon the cowboys, id fucking love it if the roosters were beaten

What a finish. Drop goal from maloney puts the roosters 1 up with five minutes to go last gasp set from the cowboys sees jt sprint over, but its called back for a knock on. Goooooo roooostas

3 years in a row the cowboys have been cheated

Grand final coming up to half-time here. Russell Crowe’s boys the South Sydney Rabbitohs 6-0 up on the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs. Can’t see them lose.

http://firstrowir.eu/watch/288038/1/watch-nrl:-souths-rabbitohs-vs-canterbury-bulldogs.html

Sam Burgess playing on with a broken cheekbone suffered early on. It’s his final game the Bunnies before joining Bath. His brothers Tom and George Burgess are both feeling A1 however.

Converted try for the Bulldogs levels it at 6-6. 11 minutes into the second half.

A rampaging George Burgess takes the ball from the snapper and penetrates through the centre of the Canterbury defence for a try. He’ll always remember that. 12-6 to the Bunnies.

Bunnies’ Dave Tyrrell knocked out cold by a headbutt tackle from Merseyside’s James Graham.

Russell Crowe will be a happy bunny tonight. But he won’t be bringing his team to play the Irish rugby union team any time soon. It’s a different sport*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lAsw5UYGvk

*Rugby Union is not a sport.

Amazing finish there. Greg Inglis with a super celebration.

Stillashite sport, but great scenes none the less.

FAO @The Selfish Giant:

Hope you’re watching your beloved Broncos on Sky Sports 1 here. Golden point extra-time against Wigan in the World Club Series.