The Vinyl Thread

5 Likes

3 Likes

Wife did well

3 Likes

1 Like

A mate got me this as a wedding present assuming I had a record player, which I don’t. Still it has its uses such as appearing that I am completely down with the cool vinyl gang which I’m completely not.

Biggest haul in a good while for me today

2 Likes

After a long period of downtime, I got my vinyl rig up and running today. It had been languishing for many months after suffering a snapped off stylus during a house project, a sad day indeed. The cartridge in question was a Clearaudio Virtuoso which I had procured used on Ebay for a ridiculous markdown price. According to the company website, the stylus can not be replaced by the user and a repair at the factory would cost 9 fucking hundred dollars. The turntable was subsequently left in a closet.

The Internet is a wonderful invention. I did a bit of research last night and came across a HiFi forum entry where a user claimed Clearaudio use an Audio Research stylus with a specific form factor and the stylus can be replaced. Turns out an AR stylus in its plastic body can be purchased, modified slightly with a precision snips, and inserted into the Clearaudio cartridge body. A whopping $30 from Amazon. It arrived today, five minutes work and viola! up and running. My records have never sounded so good.

The first record spun was Joe Jackson’s Jumpin’Jive, an absolute sonic classic.

3 Likes

I bought a copy of the Paint Your Wagon Soundtrack in Rainbow Records in Waterford a couple of weeks ago out of the two euro bin. I played it last night. It was in perfect nick. Anyway as I was looking at the small print to see when the record was pressed I noticed that it was manufactured by Festival records in New Zealand. This struck me as odd and I looked again at the sticker on the cover which I had paid no attention to. Sound of Music Records Geange Street Upper Hutt. I googled Upper Hutt and indeed it is in New Zealand.

And I found a picture of the shop and a bit of history

It all begs the question, how did a record bought in New Zealand 50 years ago end up in a shop in Waterford, in perfect condition.

2 Likes

VINYL Dublin will be an immersive theatre of the mind comprising musicians, producers, designers and filmmakers specially convened to celebrate the rich history and enduring legacy of vinyl, its landmark recordings and key personnel, the groundbreaking labels and studios that fostered such talent, with contributions and insights from some of its most perceptive champions.

This three-day event, to be held on the May Bank Holiday weekend (5-7 May 2018) at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, will feature specially programmed talks, panel discussions, curated collections, music performances, album playbacks, art exhibits, pop-up stores, signings, and equipment showcases. The various events will each make special use of the RHK’s expansive grounds and infrastructure, from the magnificent Great Hall and Baroque Chapel to its cloistered, cobblestone courtyard.

Additions to VINYL will be unveiled over the coming weeks.Tickets for this unique music culture event go on sale this Thursday (29 March) at 9am via ticketmaster.ie

There are approximately 20 vinyl records in the Farmer household which includes Philomena Begley’s greatest hits and Reckless by Bryan Adams.

Will feature an exclusive first play of Snow Patrol’s new LP.

Also McGowan will be there discussing his favourite songs.

Currently listening to the new Yo La Tengo album which my wife gave to me today as a birthday present. Life is good

8 Likes

A grand view there. Have ye started turning green from the Sellafield breeze yet?

Sooner rather than later I’d imagine

1 Like

Happy birthday mate, is that Blackrock in the distance?

1 Like

Hope you had a great day

1 Like

Thanks mate. Mainly Dundalk the view is of, with Blackrock to the left (I think!). Still trying to figure out what’s what here

Happy Birthday mate, lovely setting.
All it’s missing is a glass, but I’m sure it’s there somewhere.

2 Likes

Just listening to Peter Gabriel 3 here on vinyl, stunning recording. 4 is as good or better sonically but weaker on content.

1 Like