The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

There’s a great 2/3 part documentary to be made about the Mayo teams of the 10’s and the battles on and off the field.Like them or loath them they were box office.

4 Likes

Andy Moran and Keegan were apparently two of the players who voted confidence in Holmes and Connelly. Think Tom Parsons was another one.

Connelly and Holmes obviously weren’t strong enough characters,can you imagine a heave against Mickey Harte or Jim Gavin or Eamonn Coleman.These lads knew they could get away with it and they did.

I wouldn’t say it was that.

It was more a thing of petulance, if a squad heave against a manager then no matter who it is then it’s looking bad for the manager - very, very difficult to come out of it. Look at what happened Mickey Moran in Derry. I think it showed a lot of petulance with them. The players wanted to blame anyone but themselves and when they were trying to meddle in selection decisions that was another problem.

AOS seems to be a very difficult player to manage, Kieran Shannon also hinted at this about his time with Mayo.

1 Like

1 Like

Cillian O Connor gone for an operation on his Achilles.

Game over.

Jimmy Sloyan may or may not be happy about this.
Like or loathe him, he’ll be a loss to them just the same. Jason Doherty is sidelined already iirc.

Good new for Mayo.

Presumably surgery on Achilles is a season ender in the view of this season.

Apparently COC said it was his achilles straight away to the medical team.

His one weakness.

3 Likes

Cataclysmic blow. Hopefully Aido can step up once more.

You never like to hear a fella has been injured, even a fella who you think is a sneaky cunt of a player. Get well soon Cillian. Having said that, I would love to see Mayo win the all Ireland this year without him. It would be fucking fantastic. And then let them have another another barren spell till after he retires.
Bile spewed.

4 Likes

That is beautifully bitter and I appreciate it hugely. It reminds me of the degree of amusement I take from the fact that Dublins barren run mirrored exactly the wheelie bins intercounty career. You’d imagine it would haunt them both, although decidedly less in O’Connors case as it would most likely be his brother lifting Sam and his role would never be forgotten regardless of the injury.

It’s not really about him. There are Mayo people I know whom I would like to see lifted out of their pain. But it’s the perfect opportunity. Mayo need to unleash the yound dogs and hope to outgunned all and sundry. Just cant see it happening.

1 Like

Who’ll take over the tap over frees in front of goal on the 14 now?

6 Likes

He had a free kick to win it and what did he do? He kicked it up in the air and as wide as a fucking gate!

1 Like

Most free kicks need to be kicked into the air.

Perfectly put. O’Shea gets lumped in with Cillian which is unfair on him, while they both like an easy tumble O’Shea has never been the snide sort. Though I suspect the number of Mayo fans who would be insufferable if they ever won it would far outweigh the genuine ones who haven’t deserved the misery of the last 25 years.

1 Like