The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

Does Malachy have the messianic qualities of Rory?

Only Rory has the messianic qualities of Rory.

Jim McGuinness used to talk about how he’d love to manage Mayo. Well, now’s his chance. He won’t be jumping.

McStay will want it, Ray Dempsey probably will too and would be the choice of the CB men who want the purse strings tightened.

Mike Solan won the U21 All Ireland in 2016, he’d be a good choice to bring on the young lads coming through.

You’d probably want your head examined to take it as an outsider, when you think of the politics and fanatical football culture.

He has a big job on already

1 Like

End of an era. As much as I know some Mayo fans were frustrated with Horanball, he always got a tune and a level of performance out of practically every Mayo side he was over. Which was far from the case before he got there. Of course a new voice might reinvigorate them but it could as easily go the other way.

1 Like

Depending who comes in I’d guess A few lads will be asked to retire this winter instead of being dropped from panel …

Who are you thinking of? McLoughlin? O’Shea? Nobody else springs to mind age-wise.

Jason Doherty too maybe? Lee Keegan wouldn’t be dropped but could decide to retire.

Barry and Mike ticket please

McLaughlin , o Shea , Henley, Doherty …lads while still relatively young enough but have had too many defeats …on yesterdays performance you’d wonder of COC has pace to play a full game …a new manager might want to get rid of anyone there over a certain amount of years…

1 Like

How long is COC back after a major injury? Lads judging him on this season is a bit silly.

Would Rochford be in with a shout? He came closer than anyone and Dublin were at their best at the time.

1 Like

I said on yesterday’s performance. He really looked like he lacked a yard of pace from a position of already lacking a yard of pace… Kerry targeted that .

Yeah, I just wouldn’t judge him on this season. He wasn’t the weakest link either.

Is it ok to judge him on the last 10 years of scoring loads against shit teams but underperforming in the big games?

8 Likes

Mayo love giving a second term to managers.

John Maughan, Pat Holmes, John O’Mahony and James Horan all had two terms.

If he’s over the way his first term finished, then probably. Two retreads in a row is a bit conservative though, and the Donegal experience has not been good for him.

1 Like

I’d say McLoughlin will be the only one, if any. That’s dependant on who gets the gig.

Doherty is coming back after two years out injured, Harrison the same. Cillian O’Connor wasn’t right at all, he was lifting before the injury. Ryan O’Donoghue and Tommy Conroy will add pace and more accuracy than what was there yesterday, all things being equal.

Mayo’s key issue yesterday was too many lads off the standard required to win a quarter final. It’s that simple.

Matty Ruane has floundered this year.
Flynn was injured for most of the year.
Lotus hasn’t matured into a footballer.
Aidan O’Shea continues to deceive.
James Carr, Fionn McDonagh, below standard.
Aidan Orme and Carney are young and relatively blameless given their inexperience,d but ultimately not good enough yet.

And yet they could have beaten Kerry with better decisions on the ball in the final third.

Jim would get a tune out of them. They’ve a (finally) matured keeper, a fantastic full back line, two great attacking wing backs (not convinced by their defending) and a midfield to work with. A year or two out of 5 forwards and who knows.

2 Likes