The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

Really?
2012 final CoC no score from play
2013 final CoC no score from play
2016 final CoC 2 points from play
2016 replay CoC no score from play
2017 final CoC 3 points from play
2020 final COC 2 points from play

Cillian o Connor is supposedly a top class forward but has 7 (seacht) points from play in 6 AI finals. Please explain how my reasoning (that he underperforms in finals and struggles to score from play) is specious.

3 Likes

How many frees did he score / miss?

Ray Dempsey looks and speaks like one of D’Unbelieveables. He’d surely be another Holmes/Connelly type appointment.

1 Like

You’ve some horn for COC. As I said earlier, I don’t understand the obsession with him, especially from lads outside his county, thanks for emphasising that point with multiple replies.

I’d say it’s quite simple. You’re the one calling him a supposedly top class forward. Most people don’t see him in that top tier talent wise at all. He’s a good player who gets the most out of himself and has shown serious bottle multiple times. He’s nowhere near the talent levels of the really top tier forwards and he has generally played in a forward line with few enough real threats. As you progress in a competition you meet teams with more and better man markers. With few enough other threats in the mayo forward line to shut down he’s going to be marked tighter. He’s quite simply a good an admirable player. Your obsession with him is a bit weird.

Cillian is the all time top scorer in championship football.

That’s a nice badge for anyone to have.

2 Likes

COC did his county some service. Nowt wrong with it. He always came across as a very well spoken young man who burst his gut for his county. If he and they werent good enough, then there’s no shame in that.

1 Like

DOC is only 27. On the go since 2014 with Mayo seniors.

He will set a record that will never be beaten by the time he finishes up.

And that’s after he missed the entire 2021 championship too.

And he’ll have no AI’s to show for it

The majority of intercounty footballers end up with no All Irelands to show for it.

The Chicago championship will be off the hook this year

1 Like

They’ll have the final in Charlestown.

1 Like

Most losses in all ireland finals?

There goes the Boston burglar in cold chains he is bound ……. For one crime or another he is bound for Charlestown

4 Likes

You would have to wonder were the Mayo players tuned in properly for last Sunday’s game when if they lost they stood to earn thousands in America. Realistically were not going to win the All Ireland anyway.

Someone said at training tonight that they could make up to 10k. Is that true? What would they even be working at over there?

A former Dublin Footballer was earning over 30k over there a few years ago. I think Paraic Duffy who was CEO of the GAA at the time, tightened up some of the rules after it.