The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

Cillian and the brother took the nonsense to an entirely new level. There used to be a ratty corner back from Galway who wound him up brilliantly each time they played, can’t recall his name. Think Cillian scored a total of 2 points from play in his first 4 All-Ireland finals, hardly the return expected from a marquee forward.

1 Like

Cillian O’Connor’s equalising point in the 2016 drawn All-Ireland and his equaliser late in the 2017 final are two of the most clutch scores anybody has ever got.

3 Likes

Attention of the forum……

• FUCK MAYO

Great free taker in fairness but he wasn’t clutch taking the free which would have given mayo the lead late on in 2017. He done a dance after winning the free himself and took it too wound up . Next time Dublin went up field Connolly won a free, stopped and just raised the hand to calm things down , he knew it was the winning of the game .

2 Likes

Cillian O’Connor: snakey cunt - sharpest elbows in the west
Aidan o’Shea: USELESS cunt
Ryan O’Donoghue: :heart_eyes:. They win the all Ireland if they have him in 2016-2017

1 Like

It’s lazy opinion really ala Jimmy Sloyan to say COC is a shite forward but it’s the total opposite.Hes no Canavan or Joyce but he wasn’t far off.

1 Like

The two frees he missed in 2016 and 2017 were difficult ones. Rock’s one in 2017 was easier by comparison, more central.

O’Connor isn’t the first player to miss difficult pressure frees and won’t be the last. Bryan Sheehan has done it and he’s as good a dead ball kicker as there has been. Dean Rock didn’t even get close with his effort at the end of the 2019 drawn final. Ray Cosgrove, Dessie Dolan, I could go on.

O’Connor has never been the most naturally talented player, he’s a player who worked his bollocks off to get where he got in the game. The sort of player you want on your team.

How many points did big Aido score in all his finals?

That’s not the point I was making , I’m saying he was too wound up for what was likely the match winning score .

My sentiments exactly,and I was actually thinking of Cosgrove when the gravy buck made that silly statement

Some people seem to have conveniently forgotten O’Donoghue put a penalty in an All-Ireland final wide. Mayo probably would have gone on to win if he had scored it.

O’Donoghue is also an obvious chip off the O’Connor block, O’Connor’s influence in how he plays is obvious.

ROD is like a Wish version of COC

Zero, an incredible record. If this debate is about who was the better scorer then it’s a short debate - didn’t O’Shea play fullback for spells in one of the finals? Cillian missed crucial frees in 2016 and 2017 that any decent free-taker would expect to knock over.

But being wound up was essential to the way O’Connor played. He wouldn’t have been half the player he was if he wasn’t like that, and Mayo wouldn’t have been in that position in the first place.

Connolly don’t forget was pilloried for kicking the ball away going for his own score just before O’Connor nailed the equaliser in 2016.

O Shea played full back in a semi final.

It’s not about being the better scorer,COC done more In every final than big Aido did.But the shite that COC gets for missing a couple of frees or this or that against one of the greatest teams ever is a bit ott.Even a Dublin supporter like @Cheasty gets it

Not taking frees he wasn’t . He was a cool customer taking them normally and his record backed that up - top scorer a few years in a row I think . it was just lucky for Dublin on that occasion he rushed things

He didn’t rush it though and it was a difficult angle.

Mayo beat Dublin and reached an AI final in 2021 without CoC. Don’t expect them to repeat either of them feats for years once Aido departs.

This isn’t the time for us to tear ourselves doing guys. They are two incredible servants to us