šŸŒ¬ The Weather Thread part 2

Whereā€™s Neddy when you wanted himā€¦I wouldnā€™t have seen ye frozenā€¦

1 Like

85 was shocking bad. 86 the brother and I were shipped up to Mid-Tipp to help with the turf for two weeks. Cunt of a job. Too young to drive the tractor.

going down the burrow road with a youngwan to the dunes

Is that the summer me Dad was on about where the farmers had to bring in their cattle during the day and let them out in the cool of the night?

1 Like

The only reason youā€™d want to go to the bog as a young lad

I had just turned 11 and could just about reach the peddles. Donā€™t know what the issue was.

Ahh here! I used to stand up on the Ferguson 20 :slight_smile:

Can ye move this shit to the Roaster thread please guys?

That was my argument, stand up and hold onto the wheel. But the uncle was having none of it. In later years he promised me that I would get to drive the tractor if I came up for the turf, I told him to fuck off, I had Roinn A U-14 championship and he had his chance! He still talks about it now.

1 Like

Fair play to Coach Kiely for getting the ice cream van down from LK training.

fucking townie :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kiely was a selector at the time with John Allen and a prominent TFK poster went up to him the week before the Tipp match and asked, ā€˜Sir, whatā€™s yer plan for Tipp on Sundayā€™.

Kiely responded, ā€˜weā€™re going to go man on man, 15 v 15 and see where it takes usā€™.

The prominent TFK poster in his ignorance and arrogance responded, ā€˜Best of luck with thatā€™.

Kiely had a grand smirk on him the following week outside the exam hall. We also had some auld lad from Limerick as the Invigilator who couldnā€™t help but wear a Sporting Limerick logoā€™d top to school on the Monday after.

Great days all the same. The weather was unreal.

3 Likes

The only pitches in the country with a semblance of green grass on them were in Leitrim. The wet, dauby soil retained the moisture and left the place like Augusta. Bud Poppa Brown wasnā€™t wrongā€¦.:+1:

1 Like

The weather was unreal in 2013 alright. Cracking summer until Limerick lost to Clare.

I remember coming home from Nowlan Park the first Saturday in July, while there was a sucker of a sunset going on and it felt like summer was ending.

There was a great Club Championship in Tipp afterwards though.

Vaaaguely remember '76, 1995 thou, wow. I worked in Supermacs that summer. The mighty macs didnā€™t require any seasoning with the sweat from my brow.
REM with Oasis in support at Slane that year if memory serves me well.

They were an iconic few weeks in the city. You had the Bruce Springsteen concerts in Thomond Park followed by the Munster final against Cork, which we won, in absolutely baking sunshine. There had a refrigerated arctic trailer filled with cider parked at the back of the Ardhu and they taking in fivers hand over fist.

4 Likes

Summer 2013 was a melter alright. Great weather for lying off in Herbert Park in Ballsbridge with the sunglasses on and watching the posh totty stroll by

Myself, Powery and Chuck were at that Munster Final. It was the one where Pat Horgan was sent off in the wrong. A blind man could see what actually happened. I drove and let the boys have a few scoops.

4 Likes

2021 was savage warm. After the munster final the pub I was illegally in due to Covid restrictions had to open all the doors and windows

3 Likes