šŸŒ¬ The Weather Thread part 2

what are the other solutions mate?

agriculture stepping up & doing their fair share?

Iā€™m upping my output next year. So much grass grew this year that I think I can handle another 15 cattle. What a time to be alive.

6 Likes

ouch, the east carkies wont like that

We are at the top of the food security index so you need to cut back.
We canā€™t have a small island having such high food security levels.

Kill the cows to save Riverstown, Floodsville and Bogtown.

Grand afternoon in Limerick

ehā€¦

Ireland, by contrast, is a remarkably food secure country, despite the fact that we donā€™t produce enough food to meet our needs in most categories. Instead, our strong export-oriented economy and relatively high incomes allow us to purchase what we need on global markets

Lets stick to the headlines and not be using data center power drilling into the nitty gritty.

1 Like
1 Like

Live in the now mate.

It appears that Sars GAA made a decision to open large gates at their grounds to let the water in there to alleviate pressure elsewhere and limit the damage to the villageā€¦their place is fucked Iā€™d say

Ah Iā€™d say itā€™ll be fine once the water subsides.

Edit: although I think they have a few astro bits on the far side. Theyā€™ll probably be fucked alright. Insurance would hardly cover you either if you opened the gates yourself.

Storm Babet: Cork roads remain impassable after ā€˜worst flooding in 40 yearsā€™ Storm Babet: Cork roads remain impassable after 'worst flooding in 40 years'

1 Like

Is there an example where an Irish County or Town Council have managed to put a successful flood plan in place for a town or high risk flooding area? Enniscorthy has been getting flooded for 60-70 years every few years and nothing ever got changed. Cork City the same and is it Athlone or some other midlands town where the Shannon regularly bursts it banks?

1 Like

Clonmel I think. Kilkenny city

2 Likes

Douglas put in some relief, thereā€™s an OPW plan in place for Bandon and Midleton.

1 Like

All right pet. Thisā€™ll be more in your line.

Must head for luncheon now.

Toodle pip!!

I think @corner_back is correct, Clonmel and Kilkenny have had major works done and if I remember correctly, Bertie stood knee deep in floods in Clontarf holding a brolly one time and it hasnā€™t happened since.
The trouble with flood defences in towns is, without waterway maintenance, the flood is only shifted downriver, down a river that cannot carry it, so somewhere else is flooded even more. But cull the cows, that will reverse everything, in the 150 years since the industrial and agricultural revolution along with the bad planning etc.

2 Likes

Down around Ringsend they did a load of works after floods in early 2000s

Kanturk used to flood unbelievable badly there is two small rivers join in the middle of the townā€¦widened the river when I was a teenager and hasnā€™t flooded since apart from blocked drains etc ā€¦albeit Iā€™d say has shoved the pressure down to Mallow (who have also done a massive job in limiting flooding there) who have in turn passed it into fermoy

2 Likes