The Weather Thread

The closest I came to hooliganism was at a West Ham match, a load of absolutely useless cunts singing songs in the Pub before the game about Millwall (when they were playing Newcastle) individually they wouldn’t bate snow off a rope

1 Like

I’ve heard that about Rochdale alright that it’s a dirty cesspit with nothing going for it. I was in Macclesfield at least once and passed through a few times. I don’t recall anything remarkable about it but do remember thinking it to be an alright sort of place. Were you ever in Leek town just below Macclesfield? Its fairly nice but my abiding memory was old people everywhere, like a place you went to die.

There’s a lot of places like that, Bognor Regis and Eastbourne, loads of old people going around on mobility scooters, there seems to be a lot more older people than at home

At home they just want you to die when you get old. Most of them in old folks homes or the few that aren’t are very immobile. That might be due to many years of savage bad Oirish diet with spuds at the centre of all major meals. They dont want to know about old people in Oireland. I think the way the old are treated here is shameful. That’s another thing the Brits do better than us.

3 Likes

You should see Congleton. It’s like that only worse. That’s a very good description. Macclesfield is very ordinary for Ireland, which makes it extraordinary for England. Its small, still has small independent businesses. Has some beautiful old dickensian mill terraces, and has bizarrely cheap houses in that you could buy a nice old listed terrace for around a hundred grand, but could pay ten million for a house a mile away in Prestbury. It is the main access point to the south peaks which are lovely. I’ve only been to Leek on the bike tbh, it seems to always be sleeting and I’m always tired so just look at the road and wish I was at home in the bath.

The best thing i remember about the time i went to Leek was there was this incredible butchers and i bought a few serious sausage rolls in there that i ate cold before i got home at all.

3 Likes

Sausage and Leek a classic combo

Would the rain ever fuck off.

2 Likes

Hasn’t been a winter as bad since McCourt’s childhood.

Cracking day in Cork.

Crisp, blue skies in the nation’s capital too. A real all is well with the world type day.

1 Like

May I edit that, on reflection I’m 90% certain it was the boas, not shelbourne who were my one and only personal experience of football related thuggery.

I stayed 3 nights in a Holiday Inn across the road from the Brittania Stadium, I don’t think I’ve ever put down a more depressing 3 days in my life, an utter utter shithole.

2 Likes

The old Central Park was a great venue, few pints and a meat and potatoe pie, off to Billy Boston’s for a feed of pints after.
There was a nightclub in Wigan where the hostess used to stand on the bonnet of a jeep with a whip in her hand, if she cracked the whip at your feet you weren’t getting in.

2 Likes

Nobody likes the pie eaters. The new St Helens stadium is great. I usually go with Gary French, son of the great voice of rugby league ray, and still an ox of a man

Thats some statement from a Tipp man.

GTFO

I’m very fond of Wigan and had some great nights there in flares and jumping jacks

1 Like

Not a frequenter of JJs

The pie eaters were box office when I stood on the terraces of Central Park mate, Offiah, Connolly, Edwards, Farrell, Tuigimala, Robinson, Botica, Betts, Clarke, an unreal team.
May Bank Holiday weekend, Challenge Cup Final, Wigan pilgrimage to Wembley.
Fuck St Helens.

2 Likes

There isn’t much in Wigan but to be fair the place is Mecca for rugby league . The pubs are wall to wall .