The Weather Thread

Wigan winning in Australia in the so called world club final or whatever it was, was outstanding.

1 Like

Who gives a fuck about Wigan? This is the weather thread.

They went down to Brisbane and walked all over the cunts.

1 Like

Don’t remember watching that but I did follow the 1992 Ashes series in Australia as well as the 1994 one in England.

Sky covered the '92 series live. The Lions absolutely destroyed the Aussies in the second test but fell just short in third and lost the series 2-1, as they always did. The Aussies had rugby union’s Webb Ellis trophy on the stand beside whatever Ashes urn or whatever they were presenting as the trophy for the series, presumably to rub it in to the Brits that they were dominant over them in both codes of rugby. Eddie and Stevo were still distraught at GB’s loss and started bitching on air in offended tones “what’s going on, what’s that trophy?”

Nearly all the names on that GB teamsheet still trip off the tongue.

I read some months back that the Great Britain Lions will be touring Australia in 2019. There hasn’t been a Lions tour since that 1992 series. If it happens it will be box office.

They won it at Anfield one year IIRC.

I attended the 94 test at Old Trafford, Mal Maninga scored an intercept try off a Bobby Goulding pass running 70 or 80 yards, Australia battered GB that day after GB had won the 1st test at Wembly

Fuck you

Apologies to the Brisbane Lion m8.

2 Likes

Chariots Offiah.

Anyway I’m in the Applegreen in Paulstown here on my way to the big one, the South East Derby. It’s mild and breezy. I’ll wear the cap to keep the rain off my wispy grey hair. But I won’t need the gloves.

That is really strange considering your very real and substantial connection to Liverpool football club which was deciding to support them because they won everything when you were a kid.

Enjoy the game, mate. I’m just past Kells on the way to Brewster Park. I’ve brought my Buff Egan style charge booster thingy so I can keep my INTERNET friends updated on Fermanagh-Wexford. Conditions are good - I’ll go with gloves but no hat.

No surprise there. There’s hardly a hat in Ireland that’d fit.

1 Like

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it was an entirely natural thing for any Irish youngster to support Liverpool in the 1980s. As well as being our local Football League club, Liverpool, as a city and as a club, was and remains inextricably linked with Ireland - with numerous Irish players wearing the famous red jersey during that period.

Liverpool won nothing the first season I supported them - in fact the first time I consciously remember myself being a Liverpool supporter - the 1987 FA Cup Third Round tie against Luton - we were stuffed 3-0 in a second replay after two 0-0 draws.

People who started supporting Liverpool in January 1987 know as much about sporting heartache as anybody - in fact it was the pain from the loss of that tie that made me fall in love with the club. That same month Ireland’s Jim Beglin had his career effectively ended in a Merseyside derby by a shocker of a tackle by England and later Rangers right-back Gary Stevens. Jim’s pain reverberated across the Irish Sea and was felt deeply in the Dublin school classrooms and streets full of Liverpool supporters.

That pain would subsequently be heightened by the loss of the Littlewoods Cup final to Arsenal, the loss of the Division 1 championship to our Protestant city rivals Everton, and the loss of Ian Rush.

Then there would be the pain of the 1988 FA Cup final defeat to Wimbledon, the defeat in the League decider against Arsenal in 1989, and the 1990 FA Cup semi-final defeat by Crystal Palace. And the appalling tragedy of Hillsborough forever cemented the very special emotional bond between all Liverpool supporters everywhere.

It was a relationship forged by pain, and all the stronger and more enduring for that.

That’s a lot of explaining to do when really you just started supporting them because they were the best. It’s ok you were a kid, I’m not judging you. Same reason there will be a generation of Chelsea and Man City supporting people in Ireland soon enough.

5 Likes

Chelsea and 1860 Munich supporters in Ireland only exist on INTERNET forums.

Which aren’t in Ireland at all, really.

An awful dull day here in Limerick City today.

Why so surprised? Laois are in town

It’s the oddballs that still support them which is weird

Definite hint of spring in the air today chaps.

1 Like