The Wolfe Tones

Presume the Wolfe Tones fans would side with this gentleman, as words have no meaning.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/tennis/2023/0905/1403437-us-open-spectator-removed-for-shouting-hitler-phrase/

US Open spectator removed for shouting ‘Hitler phrase’ following complaint from Alexander Zverev

You seem very out of touch. A lot of things you’ve never come across by the looks of things.

Jumping to extreme conclusions as usual.

In what way would I be out of touch?

Everyone elses points are stupid apart from his own.

Words in songs only have meaning when they’re political.

Not Listening Friends Tv GIF

@Cheasty do you believe everyone who attends a sporting event and sings the Irish National Anthem believes they are soldiers whose lives are pledged to Ireland?

5 Likes

Apparently so.

I’m a Barbie Girl
In a Barbie World

1 Like

He won’t like it if he ever hears the verses.

Was everyone really kong fu fighting?

9 Likes

Who did leave the dogs out?

1 Like

Sure Liverpool fans are always chanting now they conquered all of Europe. They even continued it in the middle of the Russian invasion.

Do you really believe the words “Up the Ra” are not a glorification of the Provos?

How do you feel about rap music? Genuinely. A heap of it contains threats, violence etc

To some folks in older generations they might well be. To others they’re words in a catchy song as @TreatyStones has said.

According to the song lyrics they’re just describing what was written on a wall so it’s really left to the reader / singer to interpret them as they see fit.

I think you’re extremely deluded. There is a widespread Sinn Fein campaign of Disneyfication around what the Provos did and every Up the Ra chant is an integral part of that.

The dullards who sing it can’t even see that every time they sing it or defend it they’re pushing a united Ireland further away because they are giving Unionists a genuine reason to believe they do have something to fear from a united Ireland.

Its always amazing how difficult it is for you to see anyone elses point other than your own. Its must be an extremely tough life when everyone around you is always wrong and you’re always right

3 Likes

What sort of a point is that? I’m arguing a point and you’re failing to rebut it.

Now, according to you, this stuff is grand. But then again you’re not a northern Catholic.

The IRA did some absolutely horrific things that not even their own former members likely approve of now but they also did some things a lot of people probably agree with like attacking British soldiers and loyalist terrorist during a war where there people were being oppressed and after many years of similar oppression.
There is also the added complication that the early IRA or RA were literally the illegal terrorist organisation that fought in the 1920s and carried out some horrific acts themselves but are also the founding fathers of our state who we celebrate officially and learn about in school. It’s simply not as black and white and clear cut as you make it out to be cheasty.
The USA and Britain and their armies have carried out many many multiples of the atrocities of the IRA yet are routinely celebrated and cheered from official levels all the way down.

1 Like

My entire mothers side of my family are Northern Catholics mate. You appear to care far more about a bunch of songs than all of them combined do.