The Wuhan Clan - Tony Holohan's Having a House Party

Another of the forum’s resident conspiracy theorists has steamed in to try and save the day for the angry Blueshirts - the PMs must have gone out :joy:

Be more in your line to ease up on the fake arguments.

This will be an interesting case study one way or the other.

I actually amn’t trying to have a go at you. Just outlining what I see as the effective implications, either logistical or logical, of your proposals.

I think some or all of what I raised may be required but in my view that level of draconian action can only be sustained for a short period of time so can’t be started too early.

Calling people autistic for posting facts. How nice of you.

1 Like

Good one mate

Start with some actions, I think some of them could have been done and should have been done already.

Incrementally ramp up as and when needed.

I just think we are now behind the curve and are firefighting.

Starting too early is better than starting too late

We probably are behind the curve a little bit but would people accept no travel within Ireland to areas of community transmission. That’s one step that could be taken now. No travel to Cork, Clare or Limerick. Anybody who returns home from a country with community transmission should be forced into self isolation with fines.

Close schools now. Cancel all public events now.

If that was decreed today what would public reaction be as you need public support to make it workable.

Lads have no idea of the implications of a total shut down. Its unprecedented and most certainly it is not something the government can rush head long into. It needs to be timed and massive supports in place.

All loan repayments would need to be suspended by the banks. Food banks would need to set up and various provisions around essential services.

Lock it down is it not an easy solution and it needs to be the final option.

6 Likes

You love calling me a watery cunt or boring yet respond to an unbelievable amount of my posts.

I think that we can’t go in lockdown indefinitely (not just for financial reasons btw) and although I agree with closing schools, your 4 points you outlined earlier as to what you’d do won’t completely stop the spread of the virus. Surely by your logic of completely forget about the economy and focus on keeping out the virus to protect the people then we should be stopping all flights, closing everything, stopping public transport because that’s the only way to really stop it

I presume our government is working off common public health playbooks. We tend to expect our cancer doctors here to use the agreed best practise as across the rest of the world and not “think outside the box” so it’s probably the same starting point for public health.

I would agree though, that for public health experts everywhere - this is unprecedented stuff and most of the actions are prob based upon theory discussed over years as opposed to experience with near pandemics.

Finally, while I get that you’re not a Leo fan (despite Sid’s assertions that you’re out to defend them!) I think a nearer analogy which may give some credit in the bank is the recent Brexit efforts which saw a broad cross-party consensus, gov working with the experts and Europe and was widely acknowledged to be best efforts in the national interest rather than sectional political interests.

2 Likes

The logical thing to do was restrict travel from northern Italy. Not an extreme measure and would have minimal economic impact. It wasn’t done on time and now we’ll see the consequences.

You were sneakily having a pop by proxy of another poster. Anyway.

We cant stop it. We can only slow it down to give the health services a fighting chance.

What I think should happen isnt in anyway OTT and is going to have to happen anyway. Which most people agree with. My argument is, that it should happen sooner rather than later. The more cases we have the higher the burden on the health services.

We need to minimize the number of cases.

There needs to be incremental actions taken to slow it down and minimize cases. No one is advocating a complete overnight lockdown.

Realistically you can get on a flight to northern Italy and lick an Italian and come home tomorrow.

There are tens of thousands of irish lads in cheltenham as we speak

They’re oirish

Hypothetical

A lad comes back from cheltenham, not feeling well. Test positive for the virus. Contact tracer (one of six). Where were you? Cheltenham.

Contact Tracer. Oh fuck.

Anybody coming from UK now should be in mandatory self isolation.

But they won’t be. Lads who came home after yesterday are out and about now

thanks for a decent post in reply, its an outlier to some of the random shite that goes on here.

the delay in calling off paddys is unacceptable, as was not stopping the flights and letting a health worker come back form italy with the virus and go into work.

as for brexit, there has been a cross EU approach to that and to be fair, I would give coveney, mcentee and humphreys much of the kudos for that, not leo.

Was there an alternative to letting our own citizens come back? Students especially