The Wuhan Clan - Tony Holohan's Having a House Party

Prof McConkey has been bang on from the start cc @Bandage

2 Likes

All are online in the secondary sector.

1 Like

This crisis could cure anxiety for sufferers like Bressie because they’ll have something to concentrate their minds on - staying alive.

But it will give anxiety to a lot more people who were previously not suffering from it because of the possibility of dying and seeing other people die.

I’d trust the Korean and Italian numbers. Italy has a shitshow too with overwhelmed health system which could easially happen here

2 Likes

@Dziekanowski care to take this one?

Added to the 30,000 childcare staff and a significant number of support staff such as cleaners and catering staff who would have been contracted through private companies to work in school and colleges.

I’m in 4 or 5 supermarkets a day. Wont be grounded for a while yet

2 Likes

You’re very fatalistic about all of this. You’re tormenting yourself over something that if it happens will torment you then and if it doesn’t won’t torment you at all. I’m not being an arsehole, I just don’t see the point of being so fatalistic. We can only do what we can do, personal responsibility, the rest is out of our hands.

5 Likes

My rough calculation ms mean that if we match China’s death rate, we will end up with 109 deaths. Obviously terrible but, unfortunately I think most people would bite your hand off for it.

And China is a much more densely populated country than us, with poorer hygiene standards. On that score, we don’t seem too bad (again, relatively speaking)

However, china may not be telling the truth. And, even if they are, the Chinese government can probably resort to much more heavy handed measures than a western democracy in order to contain this

2 Likes

Have you ever delth with the chinese professional. Never a problem with there side always blaming someone else not matter what facts you give them. Denial is in their culture

Best of luck Mike, at least the roads will be quiet. I spent 10 years in distribution and logistics (JB) and have a fair idea of the pressure you lads will be under in Dunnes this week.

1 Like

Lads, I sick to the teeth telling ye, The real numbers in China are x50 times what’s reported.

2 Likes

China’s numbers as far as I know are largely accurate but things are far from getting back to normal yet and the probablity of the disease popping back up very much exists. They have been in full lockdown. They built two 1000 bed hospitals in a week. Our lockdown will not be on that scale.

Buying time is of the essence. We have to hope alternative treatments could yet prove somewhat effective.

Sadly I fully believe we are heading for an Italy situation.

2 Likes

277 ICU beds? It’s going to happen. And it’s going to happen in Britain too.

The medical personnel in Italy will definitely have PTSD from the decisions they’ve had to make

I get the distinct impression that it’s only today and with the announcement regarding pubs , reality is finally setting in a cross the country.

It has and is happening

1 Like

Everybody needs to torment themselves for a while over what could happen. Because if we don’t, it’ll definitely happen.

1 Like

Better be safe than sorry.

Have the Chinese even offered a token apology for causing this disaster?