The Wuhan Clan - Tony Holohan's Having a House Party

Some people who recover from the coronavirus might be left with ā€˜20 to 30%ā€™ less lung function, and gasping for breath when they walk quickly, Hong Kong doctors said
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3?amp&r=US&IR=T&utmSource=twitter&utmContent=referral&utmTerm=topbar&referrer=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

I always thought Bowers was either a lightweight or headbanger of a correspondent, but couldnā€™t quite decide which. This was primarily based on his studio appearances on the news during various health crises.

I watched the full press conference on RTƉ News Now there and Bowers asked if revised social distancing protocols could be enforced for the daily briefings along with a question about how social distancing could be guaranteed in supermarkets.

This contrasted with other journalists asking about latest cases, growth rates, split by age/sex/location/pre-existing conditions, lockdown, roll out of testing, capacity and so on. Iā€™m still none the wiser about Bowers but Iā€™m edging towards bumbling.

Well into treble figs tomorrow and for a few days Id say

Very best wishes Mike.

1 Like

@Fagan_ODowd if you need any messages will you let me know Id be happy to leave them in for you

We are doing very very well in comparison to the US, Iran and Italy in terms of growth. Weā€™ll obviously see a spike when testing scales up but itā€™s important to understand that isnt as disastrous as itā€™s going to appear.

3 Likes

Ex-forumiteā€™s analysis is on the on the money here:

1 Like

Are we looking at something in the vicinity of a 1.2 increase in the rate of infection before we start to hopefully slow down?

They will abandon their ingenious strategy in days. Theyā€™re already backing away from it piece by piece. But how many lives will it have cost is the question. Every day really matters in the early stages of something like this.

1 Like

Fuck the economy, guys.

Lives matter.

8 Likes

This wan from the Daily Mirror was pushing for the tabloid headline in the press conference there. Did I mention I watched it? She asked a series of questions and follow ups. Are we struggling? Are we out of testing kits? When will we run out of testing kits? When will we get more testing kits? Why are people having to wait so long to be tested after contacting their GPs? Can we cope?

Completely unknown, the growth is directly related to the scale of the testing per population.

1 Like

The hospitals are preparing for the apocalypse. :face_with_thermometer:

Thatā€™s it in a nutshell

When in Wuhan they thought they had 450 cases it turns out there were at least 12,000. Officially in Italy they have around 28,000, but based on critical & mortality rates they are almost certainly in the hundreds of thousands.

Mortality and critical rates are the only useful guide. But I think announcing the number of cases is the only way to communicate to people what the scale of problem is.

I read a report from a psychologist that said reporting numbers, especially predictive upper limit numbers can be extremely damaging to the population. And having graphs with a vague scale of time and numbers can be equally alarming.

As I said, the death rate is minuscule relative to absolute cases, itā€™s the growth is important. If you control growth by slowing it, you save lives.

Understanding numbers wont save lives now. People will.

The numbers can be used to best effect afterwards

Also, a lot of humans canā€™t process exponentials, and process them linearly. Exponential bias.

Do yourself a favour, donā€™t delve into the numbers. I tried to and it did me no good

1 Like

Whatever youā€™re political persuasion I think a lot of people would agree that our ā€˜caretakerā€™ government have done a sterling job in unprecedented circumstances. They could easily have gone fook it let the next crowd deal with it but in my opinion true leadership has been shown. Now decisions made may be proved to be wrong but they are projecting a sense of being on top of it and largely people seem to be buying in despite catastrophic economic consequences.

12 Likes

People are really, really, really fucking stupid.

Otherwise intelligent people really arenā€™t getting this.

Maybe so. But agree that theyā€™re largely irrelevant, bar the number of lives lost. Itā€™s not a maths test.

1 Like

Have you context?