Things I learned today (Part 1)

:grinning:

The term gender fluid deserves a thread of it’s own. :frowning:

how long til bressies fluids bubble up i wonder

Whenever Jeffrey next needs a pee.

This should be on the “Things I learned two days ago” thread, but anyway.

I learned two days ago that the 2015 Rugby World Cup is starting today.

I thought it was starting next week.

I found out this morning, when I asked my pal what he was at this evening when we were on the way to xfit. “Watching the match”.
“What match?”
He looked at me like I was slightly unhinged before informing me that England are playing against Fiji tonight. I’m still hoping against hope that I might get a late call up for St. Helens vs Wigan.

1 Like

There was a rugby world cup in 1987.

Bomber has finally accepted Tyrones wrongdoings. Today is truly an incredible day.

#PEACEINOURTIME

#ITWASALLTYRONESFAULT

1 Like

English TV and radio personality Fearne Cotton is also coach of the Scottish rugby football team.

6 Likes

Butch Wilkins is employed by Aston Villa these days

Limerick FC wear blue because of Waterford Utd. United withdrew from the League of Ireland at the end of the 1941 season. Limerick purchased Waterford’s blue and white kit from them, took their place in the league for following season and have worn the kit ever since (with some variation on the blue/white theme).

There is a residential area near the City Ground in Nottingham named ‘Gaynor Close’ after ex-Forest and Limerick FC player Tommy Gaynor.

1 Like

When Andre the Giant was child, Samuel Beckett used to drive him to school.

4 Likes

And she dated a man that has been since convicted of paedophilia - did not know that.

The Cary Elwes book As You Wish has some great Andre anecdotes. Some life.

No more rhymes now, I mean it…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DP5-qJSzDUg

2 Likes

Scooter are a German dance/trance group founded in Hamburg, who have sold over 30 million records and earned over 80 Gold and Platinum awards. Scooter are considered the most successful German single-record act with 23 top ten hits. The group is currently composed of members H.P. Baxxter, Phil Speiser and Michael Simon.

2 Likes

Upon bumping into Peter Watts one day and hearing how Watts’ band was about to disband due to lack of success, David Bowie offered the band ‘Suffragette City’. The band rejected the offer and instead Bowie sat down on the floor of their front room in Regent Street in front of the bands lead singer Ian Hunter and penned a tune especially for them in a matter of minutes.

The band in question was Mott the Hoople and the song was ‘All the Young Dudes’ which went onto become one of glam rocks abiding anthems.

2 Likes

Coasting to an 8 point win in an All-Ireland football quarter-final over a team who have played in two of the last three All-Ireland finals constitutes a tactical failing on the part of the winning management team in that match.

3 Likes

After Pope Gregory IX associated cats with devil worship, cats throughout Europe were exterminated in droves.

This sudden lack of cats led to the spread of disease because infected rats ran free. The most devastating of these diseases, the Bubonic Plague, killed 100 million people in the mid-14th century.

7 Likes

Wasn’t there a recent theory that the plague was caused by gerbils or guinea pigs or something other than rats?