Things I learned today (Part 1)

Mairegangaire has a weekly column on Broadsheet.

1 Like

Throw up link there mate, I can’t be dealing with their mobile site

Michael D is a Limerick man. Always believed he was from the Banner

The origin of the student t test.

The t-statistic was introduced in 1908 by William Sealy Gosset, a chemist working for the Guinness brewery in Dublin, Ireland (“Student” was his pen name).[1][2][3][4]

Gosset had been hired due to Claude Guinness’s policy of recruiting the best graduates from Oxford and Cambridge to apply biochemistry and statistics to Guinness’s industrial processes.[2] Gosset devised the t-test as an economical way to monitor the quality of stout. The Student’s t-test work was submitted to and accepted in the journal Biometrika and published in 1908.[5] Company policy at Guinness forbade its chemists from publishing their findings, so Gosset published his statistical work under the pseudonym “Student” (see Student’s t-distribution for a detailed history of this pseudonym, which is not to be confused with the literal term, “student”).

Guinness had a policy of allowing technical staff leave for study (so-called “study leave”), which Gosset used during the first two terms of the 1906–1907 academic year in Professor Karl Pearson’s Biometric Laboratory at University College London.[6] Gosset’s identity was then known to fellow statisticians and to editor-in-chief Karl Pearson.[7][

2 Likes

Bull is another word for strand in the Dublin context, so the North Bull and South Bull were the strands at either side of the mouth of the Liffey.

3 Likes

Bull

That never happened.

Wrong thread

The third US presidential candidate is Gary Johnson

Jason Bateman of Horrible bosses fame is a brother of Justine Bateman from the old family ties series

Ah here, they’re the absolute image of each other, that was well known back in the day.

You’re right but twas only when I was Messi g around on YouTube earlier on, I played a few theme tunes from the 80s and family ties came on. Twas only then I noticed the resemblance and Googled it. But yea they are the absolute, spit of each other.

The minutiae of the Dunnes Stores ordering and distribution system.

That St Anne’s park was originally an estate owned by the Guinness family before Dublin Corporation purchased it back in the 40s

2 Likes

Did they purchase it or was it bequeathed? The army was billeted there before the fire burnt it down I believe. Maybe @Fagan_ODowd could clarify, he may have been already living in Fingal at the time.

1 Like

The irish rugby team training camps are quite restrictive and are referred to as Auschmidtz by some players.

2 Likes

Joe Schmidt sounds like a right cunt of a coach.

Steve Bruce has written detective novels.

1 Like

They’ve been reading out excerpts on football weekly the last few weeks.It’s gas stuff.

I heard the other day (cause im a few days behind) on the airwaves that rugby players are sexual devients