Things I learned today (Part 1)

Well Iā€™m not happyā€¦

Which fucking one are you then?

3 Likes

:clap:

It costs 2.5k for an ambulance call out in the states.

Itā€™s a good thing you didnā€™t have your stag over there

11 Likes

Metformin Promotes the Survival of Random-Pattern Skin Flaps by Inducing Autophagy Via the AMPK-mTOR-TFEB Signaling Pathway

Ah good

The crescent moon was adopted by DUFC as a thank you for the Sultan sending them a load of free food during the famine

We have no specific receptors in our skin for sensing wetness so when you sit down on a wet seat you are not sure if it is wet or cold as we are relying on thermal receptors.

Courtesy of Bill Bryson The Body

In my case itā€™s usually guaranteed to be wet.

1 Like

Youā€™ll just have to lick it in future to check for wetness so.

Have you read it, old bean? Where does it rank in his books?

Supposedly Drogheda have a load of fans over in Turkey

Just starting it. Iā€™ve not read any of his others. I have it on audible and itā€™s interesting but I wonder if a lot of his facts are made up/interpreted.

It does give a sense of wonder about the body and how we got here. For example for you to be you since the dawn of life every single creature/ancestor carrying what ends up being your genes had to survive and successfully mate and then who they mated with was itself chance to get to you. I would imagine listening to it on drugs or drinking is the way to do it.

1 Like

His book on Australia really enhanced my trip over there a few years back

1 Like

There is a back entrance to Cafe en Seine out onto Anneā€™s Lane. Iā€™d never walked up Anneā€™s Lane before today.

I presume you know thereā€™s a back entrance to Hodges Figgis up Duke Lane Lower?

The one and only time I was in Cafe en seine was on some work gig. We walked out that back door and into the Sporting Emporium where we proceeded to lose our nuts playing cards. Id say the sporting emporium installed that back door

I do.

Did Drogheda United exist in 1847 ?

Wtf?