Things I learned today (Part 1)

Yeah, David Lowe. His family are Dippers.

https://forthefainthearted.com/2010/09/23/not-standing-at-the-churchyard-gate/

1 Like

Married a Croagh girl, who’s family are big into the church.

1 Like

You micks are an odd shower of cunts

1 Like

That’s his story

The German word for tortoise is schildkröte, literally a shielded toad.
The German word for slug is nacktschnecke, literally a naked snail.

Somehow this came up in conversation with a German colleague. I wanted to know why the Germans couldn’t be consistent and call a snail a shielded slug, or a toad a naked tortoise. I got no answer. I’d say Germans are as thran as the Irish

3 Likes

Is he a handy boy for putting the mallet to the oul stakes?

1 Like

It’s simple really.

When German was first invented they had no tortoises in Germany, so when they came along after colonisation they simply called them a shielded toad for simplicity.

Slugs and snails were always there so that’s self explanatory.

It’s a bit like the Irish calling a Black Man, “Fear Gorm”. We already had the ghostly black man “An Fear Bubh”, so we had to go for the Blue Man. I’d a called him “The purple Man” myself, but that would have probably made him sound too royal.

4 Likes

Outstanding. Though how you can know so much about this and so little about marksmanship is beyond me.

1 Like

I was only in the FCA. I never made the IRA proper

1 Like

I’m only joking about the marksmanship. I ordered the bipod. It arrived, didn’t fit the barrell, then I realised that fitting one to the barrell is a bad idea so I’m back in the hunt. Funnily enough the german lad is a deadly shot
caps of bottle, wings off flies etc. He mentioned that he’s a national champion in an historical class
shooting with an Enfield I believe
What’s this fca business?

Lowe would be Palatine

1 Like

Free clothes association

It’s an acronym

@TheBird will give you a few pointers on marksmanship.

1 Like

I’m a shotgun man
. So here goes.

Keep both eyes open lead your target, follow through tail to noes and pull the trigger. Don’t stop the gun or you!lk be behind the the bird.
Pull the gun in tight to your shoulder.

As to rifles. Press the trigger after you exhale. Boring.

The thing I enjoyed the most was snipe. Speed and reaction shooting.

1 Like

Did either yourself or @habanerocat ever try your hand at archery
with a lightweight wooden flat or long bow rather that any of those contraptions you see. It’s very hard to bate once you get away from the obsession with gear etc.
If you Google instinctive archery you’d encounter all sorts of avenues to explore

That’s one of my arrows sticking into that fellow there.

3dbeb1405ea42c53423eae2d198554a673b2f3ff_2_666x500

It didn’t stand a chance

Seems vaguely familiar :grin:

Fools Carrying Arms

1 Like