Things I learned today (Part 1)

In the last 10 senior football championships, Donegal and Tipperary have reached the semi finals the same amount of times - 2

Tipp are the barometer by which serious football counties measure themselves against. Tyrone joined us on four All Irelands last weekend.

Mayo dream of matching ye

Iā€™d say we will have 5 before they will have 4.

1 Like

Chinese astronauts are called taikonauts.

I kid you nautā€¦

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0917/1247315-china-space-station/

Are they subtly suggesting we re introduce capital punishment?

There is a global shortage of stages for the next couple of years. As in the stages they use for music gigs/festivals. And portaloos.

3 Likes

There is a global shortage of everything it would seem. And a global shortage of containers to ship them, ships to ship them on, and truck drivers to drive the containers at either end. Be an interesting few months

3 Likes

There is, however, a global surplus of attention seeking cunts carousing about the internet moaning and bitching about the injustices of the world. The ā€œwhereā€™s my free house typesā€
Thereā€™s a surplus of Sitka spruce, whins and rushes in Leitrim and not a word about it. Nowā€¦

13 Likes

I heard recently of a truck driver who has his own truck, being hired by a company who have 7 or 8 trucks sitting idle in their yard because they canā€™t get someone to drive them. Heā€™s paid well over the rate because heā€™s bringing his own truck, which they donā€™t need, but heā€™s told them to go and fuck otherwise.

While I was getting my coffee this morning I overheard two bidness owners in the shopping centre complaining they canā€™t hire workers at the moment. "I mean they are coming in telling me what hours they will work!!! and thatā€™s if I can get anyone at all!!!

The tables have turned. Workers unite etc. Iā€™d imagine offering more than minimum wage hasnā€™t crossed their minds

2 Likes

An awful surplus of the in my day we saved and bought our house types too, even though the rent to wage ratio was a fraction of what it is now and you could buy a house on 3 times one salary in those days. But tis all the useless millenials fault.

3 Likes

Yep. This will be the way for siund engineers and techies for music gigs in Ireland over the next year or two also.

1 Like

Sure try and get a tradesman to do a job. I can only imagine something niche.

I had a fella out to look at the fridge the other day, freezer part stopped working (only 4.5 years old they donā€™t make em like they used to) ā‚¬85 to have a look. Heā€™ll be back with the part next week, and another ā‚¬85 to put it in. Part was ā‚¬150. The fucking fridge was only a grand :joy: I was seriously considering fucking it out and there not a mark on it

1 Like

I thought you were some sort of economic wizard but Iā€™m revising my opinion. Youā€™ve coughed out, or will cough ā‚¬320 for a part for a fridge!!! A fridge or wan of them big f/f yokes but no matter. The bucko on the ā‚¬85 call-out is the winner here.
Thereā€™s lads would tell you that trades are a codā€¦ Youā€™d do 10 of those calls a dayā€¦

Stop. I was sussing him out. Heā€™d four small jobs as he called them that day after he left me. He wasnā€™t off the phone the whole time he was there with more jobs. The best thing you could do for a young fella these days is send him into a trade. They say the auld fixing trade is dying but if you are still in itā€¦

3 Likes

100% .I tried to give @Corksfinedtboy the steer with the lad but it was a no/no.
Iā€™m not advocating plastering or blocklaying cos youā€™d be bolloxed at 50 but carpenters or sparks are forever trades.

2 Likes

Iā€™d a plumber in the other day, giving it the poor mouth about the back and the knees, must be from carrying the wallet around

3 Likes

Ah look, you canā€™t blame a young lad either not to want the hardship, I wouldnā€™t do it myself, but thereā€™s a lot of money to be made in it.
A lot more than being a fucking fund accountant or something anyway, and a lot easier end up your own boss, which is what life is all about I think. itā€™s something that can travel the World too. I grew up with a few lads, hadnā€™t the brains for college, were making massive money as young fellas in the good times. Crash came, aha hereā€™s where the education comes in to its own says I, sure they fucked off to Australia and made even more money.
One of ems a blocklayer now and heā€™s back home with a few bob in the pocket, heā€™ll do handy jobs like build a wall out the front or a shed, not arsed with the hassle of a house. Maybe a week here or there and sure cash in hand, answering to no one, and no stress because people are only glad you turned up. Living the dream the bollox :joy:

7 Likes

A client is harder than any foreman or gangerman, a foreman or ganger is an employee. A client is spending their money.

Working for yourself is 100% harder than being an employee and the rewards are commensurate

4 Likes