Things I learned today (Part 2)

Typically snide daily wail poison laced journalism. He seems a thoroughly nice man, but the massive attack link is borne out.

PS, I think he is brilliant.

A very ripe banana is 0.5% alcohol

By God!

Which led me onto a search which disclosed you can make beer, rum and wine from bananas.

1 Like

You can make beer from pretty much anything that ferments. So anything with a natural sugar content. Spuds, bread, fruit, berries, honey etc as well as obviously grains.

1 Like

Lots of foods have small amounts of alcohol. I went through a fad of tracking my nutrient intake a few years back (key learning - it is fucking impossible to get enough fibre) and was surprised to discover my daily tally would often have 0.1%* alcohol or whatever.

*It would frequently be 40%+ also.

6 Likes

BBC Pidgin is a real thing

1 Like

The doors of certain (well one) red London phone boxes are nailed closed suggesting they are mere props/backdrops for photos.

1 Like

Loads of them are, particularly those around Big Ben

The doors of the ones around Big Ben open though.

Tonto (as in the Lone Ranger) is Spanish for ‘silly’.

1 Like

Kyle Walker has been wearing the same shinpads since he was 16.

They were given to him by Irishman Derek Geary, who played for Sheffield United when Walker made his debut. Geary gave him the pads as a memento of his debut and Walker has wore them for every game ever since.

Finglas native Geary played for both Sheffield clubs, over 100 times for Wednesday and just shy of the 100 for United. He is the current United Academy Manager. He was called up by Stan once but had to withdraw due to injury and never got another call up.

13 Likes

Waterford has an airport

For a few decades now. I remember playing a minor hurling 1/4 final v Killimordaly back in the day and Supermac flew 3 lads that were working for him there up from Waterford to play in the game.

Big Burger

3 Likes

The Burger, Chicken, Pappa John King

O Cleirigh is the oldest known surname in Europe, first recorded in what was then Galway in 916 AD.

3 Likes

First Ryan Air flights were from Waterford airport back in 1985.

The hooks near your car doors aren’t for coats and items of clothing, they are to hold the parcel shelf when the rear seats are down.

5 Likes