Things I learned today (Part 2)

The UK postcode system has little or nothing to with other geographical designations, such as historical or contemporary administrative or ceremonal boundaries ā€” itā€™s about routing post (as, indeed, you might expect from the name).

Take the following postcode for example - NG2 5FJ

The first half (known as the Outcode) routes the mail out of where itā€™s sent from, and the second half (the Incode) routes it into where itā€™s going to be delivered.

I told them at home that Iā€™ll be buried in Cork. Have spent the majority of my life down here and want to be with my own family.

2 Likes

None of Christopher Columbus voyages ever landed in North America. He sailed south west hence Central and South America speak Spanish.

John Cabot commissioned by King of England sailed west and landed in Newfoundland five years after Columbus first voyage leading to English speaking North America.

1 Like

Iā€™ve told herself to cremate me if I go early. Said thereā€™s no point in her being tied to some place that theyā€™d feel the need to be near or visit.

1 Like

Does the Urn sit up on the mantelpiece then?

@Kyle brings it over on the boat and goes into a liverpool game 4 hours early to throw it on the pitch but it blows back on him like the lads in the Big Lebowski. @caulifloweredneanderthal is mostly stood on then by the MGFs, a true reflection of irish footix status in liverpool.

4 Likes

Doubles and trebles on dartboards are bigger than they used to be.

TELL ME NEVER

1 Like

I couldnā€™t give a hoot. Once Iā€™m gone, Iā€™m gone.

1 Like

Half of @Atticus_Finch ashes were dumped on the pitch in the Gaelic Groundā€™s and the other half fired off the cliffs in Ballybunnion as he was fond of the Monday club down there back in the day

12 Likes

I got my fatherā€™s home from Spain Christmas weekā€¦ Unsure what to do with it. As a lifelong Utd supporter i might scatter him at Anfield like youā€™ve suggested.

4 Likes

Im doing similar but herself is getting my ashes in a locket that she will wear around her neck/between her diddys.

4 Likes

@Cheasty was on to that years ago. Knew that the doubles and trebles on the BDO were tighter.

1 Like

All to do with the width of the wires on the board.

Would that mean youā€™d have no ā€˜graveā€™ then for your family to visit? What would replace that ritual for people?

He wasnā€™t religious and didnā€™t want anyone visiting his grave.His brother asked a couple of us where he thought he should scatter him and as he was a massive Limerick Gael the GG was an obvious place.

1 Like

No I just mean in general when someone is cremated and scattered. Is there just no grave visiting ritual then or what?

Iā€™m that that big up on theses things lad

People would scatter them or bury them in a public place they can return to (like an existing grave) or possibly on their own property.

An acquaintance had a spouse die a few years back, had the cremation, but not yet collected the urn as funeral bill not paid for.

One way of doing it.