Things I learned today (Part 2)

That’s a cracking story.

1 Like

I think I would have preferred Bill Perks.

:smile: jaysus will ye stop it

He perked her up

1 Like

Wasn’t Perks the name of the merries in Youghal cc @backinatracksuit

1 Like

Perks was indeed the merries in Youghal, permanent for the summer in the seafront there

Perks also had a travelling merries which rocked up in the Showgrounds behind park ui chaoimh and was a highlight of the year

1 Like

I think it was permanent all year round?

It was there year round but wasn’t open
You’d be waiting a long time for company on the bumpers in mid February :grinning:

3 Likes

They used to come to Kilmallock for the festival each year. Amusements at one end of the hurling field and a marquee for the showbands at the other.

1 Like

The amusements opened in Tramore on Easter Sunday and closed in September.

You reminded me of this book. If u haven’t read it I’d strongly recommend it. Set in Tramore.

1 Like

Question, do people feel that the penguin mark is an indicator of quality?

No. Once upon a time yes. But snacks for accompanying cups of tea have moved into a different stratosphere these days with various biscuit bar combos and the many gourmet nutball/cookie /pastry offerings. The penguin bar is of its time and never really took off in the modern age.

12 Likes

I’d say it is. I’d still associate them with classics. I’ve still read plenty of shite penguin books too.

1 Like

I kind of knew someone would come up with that but couldn’t be bothered to qualify.

“Pick up a penguin” would have been a better slogan for the books crowd than the choclate

P-p-p-p pick up a penguin as reading can be great to help overcome stuttering

The French Revolution is responsible for the terms ‘left wing’ and ‘right wing’.

The terms “left” and “right” first appeared during 1789 when members of the National Assembly divided into supporters of the Ancien RĂ©gime to the president’s right and supporters of the revolution to his left.

2 Likes

The Grateful Dead saved Lithuanian basketball and helped them win an Olympic Medal and Phoebe was a big fan

2 Likes

Bull-baiting was a blood sport involving pitting a bull against dogs with the aim of attacking and subduing the bull by biting and holding onto its nose or neck, which often resulted in the death of the bull.

Bull-baiting (Irish: tarbh-ghrĂ­osĂș)[8] was widespread in Ireland in the 17th–19th centuries.

In Dublin, bull-baiting took place near the Cornmarket and in Smithfield.[9] On St Stephen’s Day 1789, a riot followed a bull-bait: soldiers fired on the crowd and four were killed.[10]

In Wexford, the activity arrived in 1621, brought by the Guild of Butchers. Bulls were baited twice a year and their hides presented to the Mayor. The area where bull-baiting took place is still called the Bullring.[11]

In Kilkenny it took place at the site called The Ring, first in 1609, and commonly on the feast-day of John the Baptist (December 27). The last recorded bull-bait was in 1837, after they had become illegal under an 1835 Act.[12][13][14]

Bull-baiting also took place in Waterford,[15]Naas, Drogheda, Tuam, Carrickfergus, Belfast and Athlone.

IMG_9585

7 Likes