Things I learned today (Part 2)

An awful waste of a good bull.

2 Likes

A lot of wrong un’s in the places named

1 Like

There’s a bull post in Ballybricken in Waterford @Gary_Birtles_Lovechild that they tied the bull to for this purpose.

6 Likes

There’s a bullring in Southill too, wonder is that how it got its name.

Im assuming the dog used would be a ‘pitbull’ as in pitted against bull?

2 Likes

Old English Bulldogs were the breed. Pitbulls are a more recent breed

There’s a bullring in tralee too.

2 Likes

I worked with a traveller in London in the late 90s who was from there.

Rough spot. Think they knocked most of it a few years ago.

1 Like

Would the bull meat then be given to the poor or would the lord who invariably owned it have used it to feed his hounds while the locals stood there salivating?

I think the topic was covered in Paul Rouses excellent history of irish sport podcast series

Callum O’Dowda and his sister Jade are grandchildren of the great Brendan O’Dowda. My mother had a couple of Brendan O’Dowda records that we’d be asked to play on the radiogram when we were growing up.

1 Like

I think this was my favourite Brendan O’Dowda song

3 Likes

What a song! Was my aul fellas party piece.

2 Likes

There’s no single event in Synchronised Swimming.

3 Likes

The 1988 film ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit’ has an underlying plot line that is based off the true story of the rubber and oil companies buying up all the light rail lines in Hollywood and tearing them up to promote highways. You can still find remnants of this time period when walking around towns like Oakland, California where the original rail lines were just left in the ground because it was easier. This is part of why the taxi is a lead character in the last half of the movie and there are many references to trains.

1 Like

HaighdeĂ  is the irish word for piggyback

2 Likes

Love a good map.

6 Likes

Jeepers, Ireland was full

2 Likes

What did you learn?

Fairly good spread of people around the country there tbf

1 Like