Things I learned today (Part 2)

Well Mr Lydon was their lead singer before joining PiL.

PiL are a cross between Cliff Richard and Johnny Logan.

1 Like

Yes I’ve heard the song. It’s about his wife’s dementia. It’s quite good.

2 Likes

Robert Bardo claimed in a Los Angeles court in 1991 that the U2 song “Exit” had inspired him to murder a young actress, Rebecca Schaeffer.

The GGAs premier sports competition the O’Byrne cup is named after a GGA stalwart who dedicated his life to the GGA

his name wasnt o’byrne

Nottingham Forest have won the last 8 penalty shootouts they have been involved in. That has to be some kind of record.

1 Like

It’s only 347 sleeps until the return of the man with the big white beard.

@iron_mike will be flat out drawing up the greatest of all marketing plans.

5 Likes

Oleg Salenko who famously;
Scored a record 5 goals in one WC game vs Cameroon in 94.
Was joint top scorer for the tournament with 6
Is the only player to have won the golden boot with his team not getting out of the group.

But the surprising thing for me.

He scored 6 times for Russia in the WC. They were the only 6 times he scored for Russia.
He only made 8 appearances in total for Russia, 1 sub in a WC qualifier, 4 friendlies, then 20 mins at the end of the first WC game, and then the following two games in full.
So he actually only played like 200 mins of WC football and scored 6 goals.
He was 25 when the WC ended, he never played for Russia again despite playing club with Valencia and Rangers post the WC

4 Likes

he was Ukrainian - played for Ukraine first then Russia.

1 Like

A lot of Ukrainians declared for Russia after the breakup of USSR/CIS.

At USA ‘94 you had Ukrainian natives Ternavsky, Tsymbalar, Nikiforov and captain Onopko playing for Russia. Kanchelskis another Ukrainian who boycotted that World Cup and went on to play for Russia in Euro 1996.

3 Likes

78% of the HSE are female.

4 Likes

Explains the high absenteeism

11 Likes

Former MEP Avril Doyle is horse trainer Liz Doyles mother

Did you also know that Barry Murphy, son of Ferdy was Liz’s former assistant trainer and romantic partner before they split both romantically and workwise?

JP Morgan owned the Titanic.

3 Likes

I had dealings with the other daughter Kate many years ago in a professional capacity. I didn’t think she was the brightest but I’d definitely would have liked some fun in the stables with her…

2 Likes

Gary Mackay was making his debut off the bench for Scotland when he scored against Bulgaria in 1987.

1 Like

ridley scott directed the video for Avalon, by Roxy Music

Avril is one of the biggest cunts I’ve ever known.

2 Likes

Danny DeVito was a producer on Pulp Fiction

I yet to meet someone who had a kind word to say about her. And I include some lifetime FG heads in that

1 Like