Things I learned today (Part 2)

Was it careless whisper he gave him credits for even though George Michael wrote it himself aged 16?

Think so

The then US President Richard Nixon visited Ireland in 1970.

He visited an old Quaker burial ground in Co Kildare, where his mother’s ancestors are buried.
Somebody threw eggs at him.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0411/1376279-us-presidents-visits/

1 Like

In reverse chronological order. Had long known about the first two but only heard the third today.

1 Like

Cobain/Nirvana cogged stuff all over the place. Nirvana had a great energy alright but I think they’re overrated, not as original as they seem to get credit for, and Cobain was a dose. One for the unpopular opinions thread maybe.

A lot of their songs are very straightforward musically, so the likelihood is greater that they will sound like something else.

1 Like

They’re no different to anyone else. You can’t really go through a musical career without picking up sounds and influences. Smells like teen spirit picks up the guitar riff from More than a feeling by Boston.

3 Likes

Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief

Bono knew

Youre skooling a chap who thinks hippy hop is original.

1 Like

It took four matches to separate Arsenal and Liverpool in the 1980 FA Cup semi final.

Arsenal v Leeds in 1991 took four matches.

Arsenal ended up knocking out Dublin (Dion) and Cambridge United in the Sixth Round but lost to Edinburgh (Justin) and Spurs in the semi-finals.

David Beggy who scored the winner in the other four match saga that year was at that point living in Edinburgh.

2 Likes

I was in Aberdeen, Washington where Cobain grew up the other day. Makes Tipp Town look like Florence

13 Likes

Are you full time in the US now?
The Pacific Northwest is a wasteland. Drive up to Vancouver and remarkably it’s very civilized.

No I’m back in Dublin again.

Yeah wasn’t impressed with the Pacific Northwest at all, but it rained solid for the week I was there (and I mean solid).

1 Like

Where were you?

Mainly on the Olympic peninsula

Fuck you can doused there alright

Informative rating.

How so?

He’s big into cycling. I don’t think he’s short money though. George Michael was very generous in every way, including royalties.
Emma O Reilly cycles with Andrew Ridgely out of the Groucho in London, which has a big enough cycling fraternity.

1 Like