Things I learned today (Part 2)

Gael Clichy is still at it

Thatā€™s nearly as empty as the Emptyhad

Number 1 singer Maria McKee sings on the obscure Irish band The Golden Hordeā€™s song Friends in Time.

2 Likes

always an excuse to trot this one out

4 Likes

Surprised you didnā€™t know that.
The Golden Horde were never as mainstream as The Stunning or Something Happens who were of the same eraā€¦but never obscure. They gigged extensively and were a great live band on the circuit at that time

3 Likes

Before my time unfortunately.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t she living in Cork for a spell around that era?

That I donā€™t know. She isnā€™t Irish so may not have been tied to any one place. She looked like she was gonna be a massive star around the time she had a hit with the theme from days of thunderā€¦

I think she did away with the mining requirement on Top of the Pops and sang that song live gaining massive plaudits.

An interesting character for sure.

2 Likes

A lad I knowā€™s ex-wife was one of the early vocalists in Golden Horde. Think there was two women that sang with them in early eighties.

her live version of ā€œif love is a red dressā€ is outstanding too

6 Likes
2 Likes

Outstanding.

Chicks names. Outstanding.

My friend had ā€œFriends in Timeā€ as his first dance song. Its perfect.

Their website is delightful

2 Likes

I was just remarking that to the missus recently.

We really shouldnā€™t have gone for John Cageā€™s Sonata XII AABB.

1 Like

Itā€™s not from the grass Maria licked it of course.

Her much older half brother Bryan McLean is repsonsible for one of the best songs ever.

Love - Alone Again Or

4 Likes

ā€œThe moment you stop carrying your own guitar, Tom,ā€ Simon said, ā€œitā€™s over.ā€

:grin:

1 Like

Real gone kid by deacon blue was written as a tribute to Maria McKee

3 Likes

Great tune. Only learned about them being siblings last year!

He was the guts of 20 years older.

It must be on the Dadā€™s side.

Israeli international Felix Halfon is infamous for being caught smuggling cocaine through Tel Aviv, a terrible idea one has to say. Less well known is the fact he always carried a condom in his sock in case he got lucky at halftime. The only documented case was during an international friendly in Sweden, when he rode a fan in a cupboard while the manager was giving the pep talk.

He scored but Israel lost 5-0.

5 Likes