Things that are right

Well, at least we now know where you stand.

I don’t recall the population of the six counties voting to recognise the British Army, by the way.

Poppy cock.

Wolfe Tone was a prod. Robert Emmet was too and a host of others that clubs have chosen to name their clubs. The gaa was made for those black protestant bastards.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 852905, member: 183”]Well, at least we now know where you stand.

I don’t recall the population of the six counties voting to recognise the British Army, by the way.[/quote]

They voted for the Good Friday agreement, as did we, which requires a majority to change the status quo of territorial claim. It also dropped article 2&3 which previously had been our claim to Northern Ireland. Ergo, like it or not, the Brits are in their and it’s their army, laws, taxes etc.

As it happens I don’t like it - I’d much prefer an all-island Ireland. However This has to be achieved through democratic persuasion rather than murder and coercion. I think sport can have a huge role to play in this by being as inclusive as possible to both sides. Many sports do this but lots more could be done, particularly by the GAA imho.

Apart from that, barstool republicanism, as I expect this thread will generate, really grinds my gears (apart from Bandage obviously who is actually in the Ra)

The country is called Ireland. Not the “Republic of Ireland” moniker that the British tried to dub us with in 1949. Get your countries right first and then come back to us with how to run organisations within them.

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 852912, member: 1796”]Poppy cock.

Wolfe Tone was a prod. Robert Emmet was too and a host of others that clubs have chosen to name their clubs. The gaa was made for those black protestant bastards.[/quote]

I think it’s a political (nationalist v unionist) thing rather than religious thing.

Fair point - my error. The rest of my point still stands though.

You mentioned protestants, not me. But why should we change our culture to suit some cunt that considers himself British? If they dont want to buy into what we are then go and fuck and play rugby.

We don’t have to change anything but it’s unlikely they’ll change anything either then. Seeing as we’re the ones looking to change the status quo then I’m not sure it moves the situation on much.

Also, surely the games and the heritage of that are our culture, not some misguided terrorists?

In fairness we described the State as the Republic of Ireland in our own 1948 Act. Ham fisted as official name is Ireland and yet that act says description is Republic of Ireland. Not sure what the difference between a name and a description is. What is annoying is when the English refer to us as Eire in their news or in business (or Southern Eire) they don’t refer to Germany as Deutschland

Shitty weather outside and having the feet up relaxing in front of a lovely fire.

Described as a Republic. May have been made clearer in the drafting of the Act, though specifying the Act did not change the name of the country would have been redundant as it couldn’t do that in any event. Agree with the rest.

Agreed. The easy thing to do would to just commentate the members of the “old” IRA but the GAA is inclusive enough to honour members from a wide range of groups.

I don’t agree with it. Lots of names of places and things are named after people and with the passage of time people pay less or no heed to the significance of the names. The type of conciliation between communities you are advocating is the type of thing that occurs when the communities have grown together enough to disregard the name given or to not even consider it significant. I’m dubious as to the amount of offence a name of a club could cause.

And while I generally dislike whataboutery, Robinsons comments, which have been seized upon by that mope O’Connor, smack of hypocrisy when you consider the existence of the Orange Order.

Agree about orange order and Robinson, disagree that names are not significant. In a conflict where “flegs” spark riots, names and symbols attain large significance and changes to them are a genuine gesture.

I know lots disagree with that point of view, but if that’s the case why don’t the GAA come out and say they’re proud that their clubs are so named and they’ll continue to encourage clubs to be so named? Why do they just want the question to disappear?

[quote=“tallback, post: 852938, member: 1158”]Agree about orange order and Robinson, disagree that names are not significant. In a conflict where “flegs” spark riots, names and symbols attain large significance and changes to them are a genuine gesture.

I know lots disagree with that point of view, but if that’s the case why don’t the GAA come out and say they’re proud that their clubs are so named and they’ll continue to encourage clubs to be so named? Why do they just want the question to disappear?[/quote]
I don’t understand why they need to do either. Why is it necessary? It is a non issue to me.

I perceive this as entirely mock offence being taken by the same men that support the orange order. Given the level of hypocrisy that involves it simply can’t be taken seriously as an issue. You have fallen for this hook line and sinker.

[quote=“tallback, post: 852938, member: 1158”]Agree about orange order and Robinson, disagree that names are not significant. In a conflict where “flegs” spark riots, names and symbols attain large significance and changes to them are a genuine gesture.

I know lots disagree with that point of view, but if that’s the case why don’t the GAA come out and say they’re proud that their clubs are so named and they’ll continue to encourage clubs to be so named? Why do they just want the question to disappear?[/quote]

In the case of, say, Kevin lynch surely its completely fair game for dungiven to name their club after one of their former players who died tragically young? Same happens for pitches, cups and the likes all around the country. (Like Shane mcgettigan park in Leitrim and tadhgo crowley cup in cork). The fact that he died in a way almost every single person in his club felt was heroic would make it even more understandable. I don’t think there’s many cases of clubs being named after random IRA men. They’re nearly all club members who died young as far as I can see.

As someone pointed out the other day too there doesn’t seem to be too many ordinary GAA members going round killing people in the north these days. These lads were quite obviously political products of their surroundings fighting for what they believed in and not some type of murderous criminals as the likes of Robinson make out

[quote=“Tabby, post: 852946, member: 2142”]In the case of, say, Kevin lynch surely its completely fair game for dungiven to name their club after one of their former players who died tragically young? Same happens for pitches, cups and the likes all around the country. (Like Shane mcgettigan park in Leitrim and tadhgo crowley cup in cork). The fact that he died in a way almost every single person in his club felt was heroic would make it even more understandable. I don’t think there’s many cases of clubs being named after random IRA men. They’re nearly all club members who died young as far as I can see.

As someone pointed out the other day too there doesn’t seem to be too many ordinary GAA members going round killing people in the north these days. These lads were quite obviously political products of their surroundings fighting for what they believed in and not some type of murderous criminals as the likes of Robinson make out[/quote]

Agree completely. Was going to use the example of Kevin Lynch myself.

[quote=“Tabby, post: 852946, member: 2142”]In the case of, say, Kevin lynch surely its completely fair game for dungiven to name their club after one of their former players who died tragically young? Same happens for pitches, cups and the likes all around the country. (Like Shane mcgettigan park in Leitrim and tadhgo crowley cup in cork). The fact that he died in a way almost every single person in his club felt was heroic would make it even more understandable. I don’t think there’s many cases of clubs being named after random IRA men. They’re nearly all club members who died young as far as I can see.

As someone pointed out the other day too there doesn’t seem to be too many ordinary GAA members going round killing people in the north these days. These lads were quite obviously political products of their surroundings fighting for what they believed in and not some type of murderous criminals as the likes of Robinson make out[/quote]

In Leitrim alone, there are two grounds apart from Shane McGettigan in Drumshanbo that are named after deceased past players.

Mohill - The Philly McGuinness Park.

There is also one in Fenagh as well. Leydon Park. I can’t think of the first name.

The INLA took out one of the biggest scourges on the Catholic/Nationalist community in the history of the Troubles.

Scurvy? Syphilis? Itchy balaclavas?