Things that are right

[quote=“flattythehurdler, post: 898078, member: 1170”]Manchester these past 14 years. Seriously contemplating a move to Dublin this year as there looks to be a decent enough job coming up. My wife doesn’t want to move, but will if I get it and the t&c are alright.
Funny but I only ever went to one day of a cricket match, which was only ok because I was full. I couldn’t bear to watch it live on telly, and never played, but I love watching the highlights as it is always so sunny, and I really enjoy the analysis. I was offered a serious job in Tasmania last month but herself point blank refused. I would have loved to go.[/quote]
Tasmania is terribly cold and wet, but they have great food and drink.

The weather in manc is legendarily nice …

Yeah, I talked. It’s only round the corner so I didn’t need any refreshments but the tea looked weak and I couldn’t see any biscuits. The room was tiny. It’s nothing like how it is in Rescue Me or in any flick.

Is this a Jesse Pinkman type ruse, mate? Are you planning on selling the rest of the group some grade A hooch?

Nah, nothing like that. I just want to stop drinking. Last night blew all my expectations out of the water. It was brilliant, though you’d obviously prefer not to be going in the first place.

Best of luck with it Thrawneen, there might be some hope for your swimmers at this rate.

Sorry to hear things are that serious assuming you are not taking the piss. Best of luck with it
Will you have to give up associated hobbies like deviancy and hammering critics of the family?

Best of luck with it, mate. @Bandage badly exposed here.

Best of luck with- Have a mate that goes, tho i’m not so certain that it’s depression is his problem rather than drink, but he gets a lot from it so if it helps you get to your goals it’s a right step on the road.

Who do you think you are?

Thanks, lads. I gave up booze for 7 weeks a couple of years ago. I wish I’d gone then. I love drinking and will miss it. But I love looking good and lashing Polish birds out of it more, and the booze had prevented from doing that.

I’ll still be the same degenerate you all know and love (except for a number of posters who shall remain nameless…they know who they are though)

What an insensitive jerk.

I don’t deserve flak for expressing my belief that @Thrawneen was too tight to buy a bottle of vodka a day. I’ll take all you bastards on.

Don’t you have to believe in God to go through that AA thing properly?

I thought that, which is why I held off on going for so long. Turns out it’s a really minor part of it and you don’t even have to join in with the end of session prayer if you don’t want to. One fella said he’d pray to the ceiling when he was feeling low. As it’s talking it out is the best thing.
As a creative young man with a bright future I would hope to get involved in revamping the AA brand. It has a desperate public image that’s a million miles away from what it’s really like. (Though I’d say if you attended an AA meeting in Alabama all the stereotypes would show themselves).

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 898770, member: 129”]I thought that, which is why I held off on going for so long. Turns out it’s a really minor part of it and you don’t even have to join in with the end of session prayer if you don’t want to. One fella said he’d pray to the ceiling when he was feeling low. As it’s talking it out is the best thing.
As a creative young man with a bright future I would hope to get involved in revamping the AA brand. It has a desperate public image that’s a million miles away from what it’s really like. (Though I’d say if you attended an AA meeting in Alabama all the stereotypes would show themselves).[/quote]
Do you have to do the 12 steps?

You don’t have to do anything. Just turn up. If you want to “share” then you can. 2/3rds of the people there didn’t but maybe they’d already done so before. I enjoyed sharing. Getting it all out. I suppose it’s like confession without being done up the jacksy afterwards and told to say 20 Hail Marys.

Honest question, did you, or do you have to, start with the line that you are an alcoholic? I’m very glad you got something from it btw. I don’t think the level of drinking you described was sustainable for any length of time. Your GF sounds a very nice person, and your life would likely have fallen apart, and her gone with it.
Fair play to you.

[quote=“flattythehurdler, post: 898837, member: 1170”]Honest question, did you, or do you have to, start with the line that you are an alcoholic? I’m very glad you got something from it btw. I don’t think the level of drinking you described was sustainable for any length of time. Your GF sounds a very nice person, and your life would likely have fallen apart, and her gone with it.
Fair play to you.[/quote]
His girlfriend sounds like a filthy minx, buddy.

[quote=“flattythehurdler, post: 898837, member: 1170”]Honest question, did you, or do you have to, start with the line that you are an alcoholic? I’m very glad you got something from it btw. I don’t think the level of drinking you described was sustainable for any length of time. Your GF sounds a very nice person, and your life would likely have fallen apart, and her gone with it.
Fair play to you.[/quote]

Yeah, I introduced myself with the line that I was an alcoholic. If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t have been there, so although it’s clichéd shite you see on the telly, it’s the truth and everyone in the room instantly relates to you, no matter who they are. There was well-off people from Clontarf and there was slightly scobe people from East Wall. But you know what, the fella who looked and talked like a scumbag is a better person that I am because he hasn’t touched a drop in almost two years and he’s now a great father.
I’m not going to be all sanctimonious. Everything is just an experience. Take what you need and then move on. I enjoyed it. And I’m going to another meeting tonight.