Things that are right

Fair play Thraw, good luck with it.

Btw, has anyone ever known of a person who has gone through AA, and then later on went on to be an occasional/social (i.e responsible) drinker?
Anyone that I’ve ever known that went through AA either never touched a drop afterwards, or relapsed into heavy drinking. There was no middle ground.

Also, Ireland must be one of the hardest places in the world to be a recovering alcoholic. You would have to completely restructure a lot of your social life to not be around drink.

Assuming you are not taking the piss, good luck @Thrawneen

What doesn’t kill you and all that.

I wouldn’t take the piss about something like this. It’d be an insult to anyone here who may have been in or had a family member in AA.
People think it’s the lowest of the low, I did yesterday until I went, but once I was there I realized it was great. And I’ve never heard of anyone who was a heavy drinker who regretted stopping.
@His Holiness Da Dalai Lama
The only person I’ve heard of who has gone through AA and now drinks moderately is Alistair Campbell. He allows himself 3 glasses of wine. Most anyone else I’ve come across on the internet says they drank more than ever after a couple of months of “moderating” (which I assume is not the same thing as what that prick Bandage does, or my true friend Rocko or the Dunph).

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 898850, member: 129”]I wouldn’t take the piss about something like this. It’d be an insult to anyone here who may have been in or had a family member in AA.
People think it’s the lowest of the low, I did yesterday until I went, but once I was there I realized it was great. And I’ve never heard of anyone who was a heavy drinker who regretted stopping.
The only person I’ve heard of who has gone through AA and now drinks moderately is Alistair Campbell. He allows himself 3 glasses of wine. Most anyone else I’ve come across on the internet says they drank more than ever after a couple of months of “moderating” (which I assume is not the same thing as what that prick Bandage does, or my true friend Rocko or the Dunph).[/quote]
I wouldn’t believe a word that comes out of that cunts mouth thrawneen, but I really really hope it works out for you.

Good luck @Thrawneen.

The two aren’t necessarily incompatible.

Thanks Fagan. I hope you recover from your current ailment. I don’t believe in God but I believe in the power of the human spirit (I suppose I’m a humanist) and you have my full support and good wishes, whatever they may be worth.

If you need me to smuggle you in a few top shelf mags, just let me know the hospital, ward and room number. No words have to pass between us.

Indeed.
I can’t keep up with her bedroom demands while living as a drunk, so as Alec Baldwin says in Glengarry: “it’s fuck or walk”

Reading the last few pages of this thread leads me to believe that most of the cunts on here (myself included) actually have some small bit of decency and humanity. :eek:

That is a thing that is right.

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 898859, member: 1552”] actually have some small bit of decency and humanity. :eek:

.[/quote]

I definitely have a lot from column B but very little from column A

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 898850, member: 129”]I wouldn’t take the piss about something like this. It’d be an insult to anyone here who may have been in or had a family member in AA.
The only person I’ve heard of who has gone through AA and now drinks moderately is Alistair Campbell. He allows himself 3 glasses of wine. Most anyone else I’ve come across on the internet says they drank more than ever after a couple of months of “moderating” (which I assume is not the same thing as what that prick Bandage does, or my true friend Rocko or the Dunph).[/quote]
Not sure why, but this post has got me thinking of @balloobasluvsbeer, I wonder where that crazy bastard has gotten to.

[quote=“His Holiness Da Dalai Lama, post: 898845, member: 1503”]

Btw, has anyone ever known of a person who has gone through AA, and then later on went on to be an occasional/social (i.e responsible) drinker?
Anyone that I’ve ever known that went through AA either never touched a drop afterwards, or relapsed into heavy drinking. There was no middle ground.
.[/quote]

I think for proper alcoholics its just black or white… they cannot stop once they start…but there there are plenty of people who go through AA and drink moderately afterwards . . because the sad truth is some people use it to get out of awkward situations…i.e. husbands caught with their pants down, lads who break someone’s jaw in a row outside a nightclub…

Americans :smiley:

http://www.thejournal.ie/george-zimmerman-will-fight-dmx-1301361-Feb2014/

The term alcoholic is too wide ranging for me to allow it to be used in that context Scumpot. You can have Michael le Vell banging kids during the day and then getting wasted at night…or you can have Curley Watts staying slightly drunk all day. To the housewife nipping away at the wine. Or the person rewarding themselves after a hard day’s work with a bottle or two of wine.

My only definition is someone who has lost the power to control their boozing. When you say you won’t touch a drop one day and then you do, that’s when you know. Whatever fucking tag you want to put on it is irrelevant. The only people I’d tag alcoholics are the unfortunates who may go into a seizure in the morning if they don’t get a drink.

I went to aa for a year and thougt it was great for a while. I broke out before christmas and am very happy only drinking at the weekends. What annoyed me about aa is that some lads get brainwashed by it. A lot of people going to it have serious mental health issues aswell

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 898917, member: 129”]The term alcoholic is too wide ranging for me to allow it to be used in that context Scumpot. You can have Michael le Vell banging kids during the day and then getting wasted at night…or you can have Curley Watts staying slightly drunk all day. To the housewife nipping away at the wine. Or the person rewarding themselves after a hard day’s work with a bottle or two of wine.

My only definition is someone who has lost the power to control their boozing. When you say you won’t touch a drop one day and then you do, that’s when you know. Whatever fucking tag you want to put on it is irrelevant. The only people I’d tag alcoholics are the unfortunates who may go into a seizure in the morning if they don’t get a drink.[/quote]

I knew an alcoholic once. I met him after he fell off the wagon. I asked him what happened. He said he hadn’t drank for ages and he fancied a drink. Just the one he said. A whiskey. He was by himself. He then drank himself into such a state that he had to be brought to hospital, have his stomach pumped and get a shot of something in his arse. He sat there talking to me as he shook. I thought it was alcohol withdrawal but he told me it was permanent nerve damage from excessive drink.

To me somebody who drinks to obliterate themselves for whatever reason, knowing that they cannot control it and knowing the damage it does has to be addicted and therefore an alcoholic.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 899040, member: 24”]I knew an alcoholic once. I met him after he fell off the wagon. I asked him what happened. He said he hadn’t drank for ages and he fancied a drink. Just the one he said. A whiskey. He was by himself. He then drank himself into such a state that he had to be brought to hospital, have his stomach pumped and get a shot of something in his arse. He sat there talking to me as he shook. I thought it was alcohol withdrawal but he told me it was permanent nerve damage from excessive drink.

To me somebody who drinks to obliterate themselves for whatever reason, knowing that they cannot control it and knowing the damage it does has to be addicted and therefore an alcoholic.[/quote]

This post has no business in this thread. Go and weep the alcos in an appropriate thread you twerp.

@Thrawneen , going on past posts from you i would have thought your ladyfriend was fond of a drop too. What does she make of this move by you? Is she hopping abroad the wagon with you or is she happy to take a drop while you sip a lemonade?

I would say alcoholism is defined by how you function.

Are you doing your job?
Are you on time/turn up?
Can you maintain stable and successful relationships with partner, friends an family?
If you have kids are you providing for them and parenting them?
Can you stop if needs be cos life is a bit busy?
Do you run out of money weekly/monthly due to spending money on booze?

And another one or two that could or could not be put in, but would render 75% of the 18-40 year old population of Ireland.
Do you constantly look forward to the end of the working week to go drinking with friends?
Is drinking your only social activity?

I would have answered negatively to nearly all those at one or two stages in my life. I think if others are honest they would too.

Many of us take on too much as well. I know of a good few people, friends and acquaintances who in the past would have worked in a busy and stressful job, train 3-4 times a week, play a decent (and even very high in some cases) levels of hurling, football, soccer or rugby and drink heavily twice a week. I know others who were in college that were in similar situations and drank 3-4 times a week. Crazy.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 899050, member: 273”]I would say alcoholism is defined by how you function.

Are you doing your job?
Are you on time/turn up?
Can you maintain stable and successful relationships with partner, friends an family?
If you have kids are you providing for them and parenting them?
Can you stop if needs be cos life is a bit busy?
Do you run out of money weekly/monthly due to spending money on booze?

And another one or two that could or could not be put in, but would render 75% of the 18-40 year old population of Ireland.
Do you constantly look forward to the end of the working week to go drinking with friends?
Is drinking your only social activity?

I would have answered negatively to nearly all those at one or two stages in my life. I think if others are honest they would too.

Many of us take on too much as well. I know of a good few people, friends and acquaintances who in the past would have worked in a busy and stressful job, train 3-4 times a week, play a decent (and even very high in some cases) levels of hurling, football, soccer or rugby and drink heavily twice a week. I know others who were in college that were in similar situations and drank 3-4 times a week. Crazy.[/quote]

Never heard of a functioning alcoholic then?