Things that are right

When you’re right, you’re right!

http://blog.ireland.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=itb_shoulder&entry=21

Dulchies not Culchies

Back in the day, Shoulder remembers Meath-Dublin games with fondness.

Meath people were different then, a more rugged type who came down in their hordes in their big Land Rovers on match day and they looked, for the most part, like big red faced country folk in their KEPAK jerseys. The Dubs on the other hand were “Dubs”. They had the look of semi-malnurished Arnotts wearing city dwellers and the clash of the teams were as much a clash of cultures on the field as of it.

The Meath lads even had strange names like Bernie, Hank and Mattie the surnames were even different. The Dubs had a swagger which the big Meath lads loved to knock out of them. The Meath brutes were big strapping hardy whores like Mick Lyons and Liam Harnan and Gerry McEntee and they were men of steel with ice on their veins. Meath backs would thump and hit the lads in Blue and they littered their forward line with twinkle toed assassins like Bernie Flynn, David Beggy and Tommy Dowd. The Dubs knew they would have to fight for every inch and every yard against their country cousins.

Good Dublin teams and Dublin players would lose narrowly to the Royals, and Meath inevtiably came out at least 50-50 in those years from the mid 80s to 2000.

Today is all change. Meath is a county which is now, by and large, part of Greater Dublin. The kids on the streets of Navan, Ashbourne, Trim and Dunshoulghlin are as likely to wear blue as green and gold and the commuter belt has morphed into a bland extension of the capital.

Meath people are no longer the big strapping farmer type who looks like only comes to Dublin for IFA protests, December 8th shopping and the big match. Meath types now look for the most part like Dublin types. They even speak like them.

The clash of rural versus urban and town versus country is long vanished and the rivalry of days gone by will never have the edge it once had.

Tighter discpline and the backdoor have blunted the exchanges but the transformation of Dublin and expansion of the capital into Meath has made Dulchies (Dublin Culchies) of Culchies until they are Culchies no more.

:D:clap:

simple folks like simpler blander things it seems

I visited Freda’s yesterday evening. I dined on a curry chip and two batterd sausages (as per Puke’s recommendation). I can confirm that it is indeed a fine establishment. :clap:

Thinly veiled - Dunph is a thick gom who doesn’t know his own city

Thickly veiled - go fook yourself… :clap:

Wahup yarrup - how did you not know Fredas Dunph? Are you from Limerick at all?

Yes i’m from Limerick and no i don’t know every enterprise in the city.

Now move along please.

[quote=“The Dunph”]Yes i’m from Limerick and no i don’t know every enterprise in the city.

Now move along please.[/QUOTE]

:clap: :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Would I steer you wrong Dunph…Fine and reasonably priced too

[quote=“The Dunph”]

Now move along please.[/QUOTE]

Thinly veiled “jog on”

Let’s not use generalisations here. How much for

*chips
*curry chips
*batter sausage

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]Let’s not use generalisations here. How much for

*chips
*curry chips
*batter sausage[/QUOTE]

about 2.50 for a decent sized bag of chips… 3 for a curry chip and 1.60 for 2 battered sausages

I got the curry chip myself, but the next time i go back there (and there will be a next time) i’ll be getting a plain chip with salt and vinegar as i saw someone getting that and it looked majestic. I brought the lad from Corbally with me and he said the quarter-pounder with cheese was exquisite.

:clap:

Wouldn’t mind a single with salt and vinegar out of this place myself now, must get the address off yiz for the SA and Oz games in the summer

The Regional Summer Jamboree could be orgainsed around these games in Limerick

possibly…although it will probably have to be somewhere like Nancy Blake’s or Clohessey’s as The Dunph will struggle to find anywhere else

I didn’t know where one chipper was and suddenly i haven’t a clue where anything is in the city. :clap:

I’ll have a Limerick geography face-off with you anytime Puke.

[quote=“The Dunph”]I didn’t know where one chipper was and suddenly i haven’t a clue where anything is in the city. :clap:
[/QUOTE]

I’ll give you a clue, he was winding you up