Things that are right

I have had disagreements with you in the past but that is golden comment WTB.

:cool:

Phone firms agree on common charger

By Geoff Meade, Press Association

Monday, 29 June 2009

Europe’s mass of different mobile phone chargers will be replaced next year by one type, following an industry agreement signed with the European Commission today.
Related articles

The move means an end to household cupboards full of chargers, most only compatible with one kind of mobile phone.

“I am very pleased that industry has found an agreement which will make life simpler for consumers,” said EU Industry Commissioner Gunter Verheugen after endorsing a voluntary commitment backed by 10 companies - Apple, Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Texas Instruments, Qualcomm, NEC, Research in Motion, Samsung and LG.

The Commission was threatening legislation unless a voluntary deal was reached to enable all mobile users to charge their phones from a common charger design.

“This also means considerably less electronic waste, because people will no longer have to throw away chargers when buying new phones,” went on Mr Verheugen.

“I am pleased this solution was found on the basis of self-regulation. As a result the Commission does not consider it necessary to introduce legislation.”

99 cones on a day like today

[quote=“Watch The Break”]Phone firms agree on common charger

By Geoff Meade, Press Association

Monday, 29 June 2009

Europe’s mass of different mobile phone chargers will be replaced next year by one type, following an industry agreement signed with the European Commission today.
Related articles

The move means an end to household cupboards full of chargers, most only compatible with one kind of mobile phone.

“I am very pleased that industry has found an agreement which will make life simpler for consumers,” said EU Industry Commissioner Gunter Verheugen after endorsing a voluntary commitment backed by 10 companies - Apple, Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Texas Instruments, Qualcomm, NEC, Research in Motion, Samsung and LG.

The Commission was threatening legislation unless a voluntary deal was reached to enable all mobile users to charge their phones from a common charger design.

“This also means considerably less electronic waste, because people will no longer have to throw away chargers when buying new phones,” went on Mr Verheugen.

“I am pleased this solution was found on the basis of self-regulation. As a result the Commission does not consider it necessary to introduce legislation.”[/QUOTE]

Of course if your phone isn’t compatible with this charger you’ll need to replace it, but its good in the Long Run.

Would you not already have a charger for your phone, when you bought it, like?

Of course, but the point is that you can use other peoples chargers if you go somewhere. This however wont be the case if your old phone isn’t compatible with this micro USB charger.

Mine is though so I’m grand.

:guns:

Thinly veiled “I fucked up there”.

Thinly veiled “I fucked up there”.[/QUOTE]

How do you mean?

:guns:

Right, so you lose break or are somewhere you havent got your own charger? Then this is currently of no benefit to you.

Like I said though, my phone is so I’m happy enough, its about time this came in.

Patrick Freyne’s articles, mainly in the pull-out sections of the tribune. Another devestating critique of the Sindo/Xpose mentality at the weekend. Fookin great writer that lad and the articles laden with great humour as well. Definitely one of the good guys.

That the fella that took the pish out of Brunker for her acknowledgements section in her books?

Don’t think so. He did rip the piss out of her in this though.

This is an excerpt from it:

Halfway through Modern Ireland – Style Me Famous, an inane documentary about the VIP Style awards, Amanda Brunker explained why she was carrying a copy of VIP featuring herself and her children on the cover. “We forgot to register Setanta [her son] when he was born”, she said. She was carrying the VIP cover to use as proof of his existence so a solicitor could sign the form for the register of births and deaths (this is true. I am not making this up).

We all know that these people wilt outside of the limelight, but if Setanta Brunker’s official existence is being dictated by VIP magazine, are we not truly lost? Even without this reality-bending admission, we had to deal with Brunker’s shrieks of “I’m meltinnng… I’m meltinggg” whenever the camera panned away from her for five seconds (okay, I made that bit up).

But then again, there are many ways in which the Brunker existential crisis makes a lot of sense. Brunker, Lorraine Keane, the Seoiges, Andrea Roche, Rosanna Davison, Wesley Quirke and the rest are not quite like you and I. They speak a different language (“kissy-kissy, mwah, mwah,” I believe it’s called) and live in a different Ireland (south Dublin).

So as I watched them air-kissing, grinning like loons, and pretending to be interested in one another throughout this dull, dull documentary, it occurred to me that their identities as ‘celebrities’ weren’t just accidents of fame and tabloid prurience.

No, Irish celebrities are a legitimate and separate ethnic group: they are the people of the rag. VIP is both their sacred text and their birth cert rolled into one, and publisher Michael O’Doherty (MOD almighty) strides above them, like a smug, opportunistic deity made entirely of spare ball-sack.

They even have their own internecine conflicts, with Andrea Roche ribbing Lorraine Keane about why Roche wasn’t featured on Xpos after winning an award last year, and I think there was a pitched battle at one point between those who were famous only in the Sunday Independent and those who were famous only in TV Now.

You see, in this culture, life begins in the background of a photograph at a Seoige sister’s wedding, adolescence takes place at a photo-shoot in one’s lovely home, and one’s prime is reached at the VIP Style Awards, which you, of course, pretend you have no interest in winning. The two celebrities the programme trailed fruitlessly for the day (to the frock shop and the hairdresser), Brunker and “model and socialite” Pippa O’Connor, both looked pretty damned despairing when the most stylish female award was given to Lorraine Keane.

So the camera cut away to Keane (“Aaagh! We’re melting!” shrieked most of the audience), who was instantly swamped by her clingily over-excited Xpos co-hosts, who then made for the stage in a combined fashion like one of the transformers.

“We are legion and we thank you for this human award,” said the Xpos hive-mind in its customary bee-like tones. “I/We/It thank MOD, and appreciate the not-so-secret disdain he holds for the celebrities here present and by extension his readership. Indeed, let none of us forget the teat of cow-like humanity upon which we suckle and draw sustenance. Cease Communication. Return to POD.”

Ha ha! Classic Lorraine! Anyway, this was filmed back in March and since then Keane discovered her individuality and was destroyed as an ‘anomaly’ by the other Xpos girls. “The impure Keane component has been rejected from our being,” they said memorably at the time. “Forget her. I/We/It are now cleansed and excited by shoes again. Cease communication… Return to POD.”

Ah cracking stuff, HBV will be seething.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/docs_history.html

Horse running in Bellewstown as we speak by the name of Serious Ballhopper…superb name for a horse

Neil Diamond rocking it up on TV3 at the moment. Counts Ger Loughnane among his fans if I remember correctly.

After Eight icecream…super stuff

New Lynx Ad Pictures

Good man Stevie, put manners on her

Stephen O’Neill is to put his honeymoon on hold so he can play for Tyrone in the Ulster SFC final on Sunday week.

The former Allstar gets married this week to fiance, but the newlyweds will be staying at home until after the All-Ireland champions complete their bid to retain the Sam Maguire Cup.

‘There’ll be no honeymoon, maybe we’ll get away at Christmas for a few days,’ said O’Neill.

The Red Hands take on Antrim in the provincial decider on 19 July at Clones.